Help ID please

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6134.JPG

Can anyone help ID? The lfs i go to has two people that work there and the main owner who knows the most wasn’t their today but it looked great in the store. It hasn’t come out all the way yet but i was hoping to get some info so i can figure out where to put it in my tank! Got it pretty high and decent flow. Can anyone help?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was not expecting that to be an LPS coral.. well looked like I’m in over my head. Thanks for telling me!

And why do you think you're in over your head? Just because it has a skeleton doesn't mean it's any harder than some soft corals, that's not always true. Galaxea are fairly forgiving, you'll do fine with it :)

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And why do you think you're in over your head? Just because it has a skeleton doesn't mean it's any harder than some soft corals, that's not always true. Galaxea are fairly forgiving, you'll do fine with it :)

I’ve only been reefing a month or so and just when i think I’m catching on i realize I’m far from it haha. I just realized that my “soft coral” torch coral is also an LPS. Due to its stony base? It’s been doing great and all along i thought it was a straight up soft coral

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the people at your lfs need to do some research

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only been reefing a month or so and just when i think I’m catching on i realize I’m far from it haha. I just realized that my “soft coral” torch coral is also an LPS. Due to its stony base? It’s been doing great and all along i thought it was a straight up soft coral

Gotcha. That'll all come with time. Being able to ID even common names can be quite difficult for a lot of people, you'll get it down.

As for what we can call it, the terms LPS, SPS and soft corals aren't used in any scientific identification due to huge inaccuracies, but as for the hobby is concerned that is classified as an LPS coral due it's hard skeleton and larger polyps.

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the people at your lfs need to do some research

That was my misconception. I assumed with it flowing in the store and such it was a soft coral. I’m pretty new and heard that soft corals were great for beginners so didn’t look into LPS or SPS stuff. Now that i did i realize a lot!

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. That'll all come with time. Being able to ID even common names can be quite difficult for a lot of people, you'll get it down.

As for what we can call it, the terms LPS, SPS and soft corals aren't used in any scientific identification due to huge inaccuracies, but as for the hobby is concerned that is classified as an LPS coral due it's hard skeleton and larger polyps.

I really appreciate it. Thanks!

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my misconception. I assumed with it flowing in the store and such it was a soft coral. I’m pretty new and heard that soft corals were great for beginners so didn’t look into LPS or SPS stuff. Now that i did i realize a lot!
Lps are so good for beginners, you should look in the hammers and frogspawns .

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back