Help ID this coral

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 6, 2018
Messages
2,995
Reaction score
3,270
Location
Orlando
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7B0CEB97-2A40-404F-BF06-D711C2C6E848.png
A friend of mine who has always just had FOWLR tanks has decided to start a reef. I suggested some easy corals to get him started mushrooms, Zoas, etc. he went to the LFS got some Zoas and this, he can’t remember what it is but I’m afraid he’s in over his head. I’m trying to ID so I can help him keep it alive.
 
Looks like a pocilopora to me.

Medium high light, will take about any amount of flow you through at it. Less challenging in some ways to other sps, but still do not handle alk swings. And sometimes this will equal poci colonies sprouting everywhere if it bails.
 
If the poci doesnt make it.
And After the tank is stable.
If he likes that look.
Pavonas have a similar texture when extended without the light needs and fragile nature. Just space it a little more big sting within 1/2 inch area of it.
 
Looks like a pocilopora to me.

Medium high light, will take about any amount of flow you through at it. Less challenging in some ways to other sps, but still do not handle alk swings. And sometimes this will equal poci colonies sprouting everywhere if it bails.
He says he seems to think it’s birdsnest. Either way I’m going to help him as it’s birdsnest or pocilipora.
 
He says he seems to think it’s birdsnest. Either way I’m going to help him as it’s birdsnest or pocilipora.

It is amazing that Toasted Birdsnest looks exactly like Pocilliopora.? Good luck and godspeed with the rescue on this one. :)
 
If the poci doesnt make it.
And After the tank is stable.
If he likes that look.
Pavonas have a similar texture when extended without the light needs and fragile nature. Just space it a little more big sting within 1/2 inch area of it.

I just spoke to him on the phone and unfortunately for the coral he has a large Angel I guess. I informed him that Angels are not reef compatible.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new