Help ID this coral

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7B0CEB97-2A40-404F-BF06-D711C2C6E848.png
A friend of mine who has always just had FOWLR tanks has decided to start a reef. I suggested some easy corals to get him started mushrooms, Zoas, etc. he went to the LFS got some Zoas and this, he can’t remember what it is but I’m afraid he’s in over his head. I’m trying to ID so I can help him keep it alive.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a pocilopora to me.

Medium high light, will take about any amount of flow you through at it. Less challenging in some ways to other sps, but still do not handle alk swings. And sometimes this will equal poci colonies sprouting everywhere if it bails.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the poci doesnt make it.
And After the tank is stable.
If he likes that look.
Pavonas have a similar texture when extended without the light needs and fragile nature. Just space it a little more big sting within 1/2 inch area of it.

OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a pocilopora to me.

Medium high light, will take about any amount of flow you through at it. Less challenging in some ways to other sps, but still do not handle alk swings. And sometimes this will equal poci colonies sprouting everywhere if it bails.
He says he seems to think it’s birdsnest. Either way I’m going to help him as it’s birdsnest or pocilipora.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He says he seems to think it’s birdsnest. Either way I’m going to help him as it’s birdsnest or pocilipora.

It is amazing that Toasted Birdsnest looks exactly like Pocilliopora.? Good luck and godspeed with the rescue on this one. :)

OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the poci doesnt make it.
And After the tank is stable.
If he likes that look.
Pavonas have a similar texture when extended without the light needs and fragile nature. Just space it a little more big sting within 1/2 inch area of it.

I just spoke to him on the phone and unfortunately for the coral he has a large Angel I guess. I informed him that Angels are not reef compatible.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back