Help ID this hitchiker (white worm/snail)

lelolai15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Last week I introduced a new scolly into my 20 gal Max Nano. All the sudden I seeing these white worm looking things all over the rock work. I want to say they are the base of feather feeders but may be wrong as they are very small. They started off at the bottom of the rock work and now are at the top. Can I get some help identifying? Should I start removing them?

Note, I used Dip/Rx prior to adding the coral into my tank. Water parameters are as follows:
- KH - 8.0
- CA - 431
- Mg - 1200
- NO3 - 2
- Ph - 7.8
- PO4 - 0.36
- Salinity - 1.027
- Temp - 78

Thank you in advance!

IMG_8522.jpg IMG_8523.jpg IMG_8524.jpg

OP
OP
lelolai15

lelolai15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes! So do you think it came from the new coral?

Other than hand picking them and using bumblebee snails any further recommendation?

Is it safe to assuming it releases some sort of larva in the water column, hence the quick spread in different areas of the tank?

OP
OP
lelolai15

lelolai15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
I went ahead and shut down all the pumps picked them out this morning before the lights came on. I kept scraping until I saw the white dry rock. I then went in and applied frag super glue as a prevention. I did notice other sweeping tentacles coming from the rock work. Is it okay to assume these are vermetid snails as well, just very small without the shell?

Meanwhile, I noticed my royal gamma has a tiny small speck on it's tail fin :anxious-face-with-sweat:. I never had any issues with Ich before (system is 1 yr and 10 months). I will continue to keep a close eye this week. I don't have a QT so it's not like I can pull them out for close observation.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all,

Last week I introduced a new scolly into my 20 gal Max Nano. All the sudden I seeing these white worm looking things all over the rock work. I want to say they are the base of feather feeders but may be wrong as they are very small. They started off at the bottom of the rock work and now are at the top. Can I get some help identifying? Should I start removing them?

Note, I used Dip/Rx prior to adding the coral into my tank. Water parameters are as follows:
- KH - 8.0
- CA - 431
- Mg - 1200
- NO3 - 2
- Ph - 7.8
- PO4 - 0.36
- Salinity - 1.027
- Temp - 78

Thank you in advance!

IMG_8522.jpg IMG_8523.jpg IMG_8524.jpg
Agree on vermetid snails- Take a pliers and break off at very bottom base and discard.
Bumble bee snails have worked for me but they work very slowly

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back