Help ID this parasite please

  • Thread starter Thread starter microrobot
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

microrobot

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 5, 2026
Messages
37
Reaction score
11
Location
Canada
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just did a fresh water dip on my fish because it was breathing fast and these came off of the fish not sure what they are if anyone could help would appreciate it thank you
 
It's really hard to see in the video. I would recommend taking a pipette siphoning out one or two of those things and putting them in a little (preferably flat/shallow) container to take some decent images/recordings.

At first I thought about gill flukes, but most of them are very small and would be hard to see with a normal camera. A quick web search tells me they are between 0.2mm and 2.0mm, so there might be some species that are large enough, but I don't know if these affect the fish in our tanks.
 
Hi, I just did a fresh water dip on my fish because it was breathing fast and these came off of the fish not sure what they are if anyone could help would appreciate it thank you
Appears to be flukes but need clearer image or microscope images. These fish are susceptible to flukes
 
Hi, I just did a fresh water dip on my fish because it was breathing fast and these came off of the fish not sure what they are if anyone could help would appreciate it thank you
Appears to be flukes but need clearer image or microscope images. These fish are susceptible to flukes
I was having the same problem 30 days ago ago and I tried prazi for 10 days didn’t work but made things worse with fish gasping surface and the did hypo for 14 days during hypo fish was feeling much better then slowly brought the salt up and the problem seem to be back now
 
I was having the same problem 30 days ago ago and I tried prazi for 10 days didn’t work but made things worse with fish gasping surface and the did hypo for 14 days during hypo fish was feeling much better then slowly brought the salt up and the problem seem to be back now

These could be Neobenedenia flukes, with the fish moving them around, it’s just to difficult to see.

Hyposalinity works great on Neo, but it needs to be run for 30 days. Hypo doesn’t kill the eggs, just stops the larva from infection the fish, so you need to run hypo until all the eggs have hatched, and that takes around 23 days. A single viable egg can restart the infection.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new