Help ID Worm

Vezos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20231210_075104942.jpg

This worm like critter is burrowing under the sand and and creating mound like structures.

OP
OP
V

Vezos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. At first I thought bristle worm but I've never seen them build mounds like that and I have no shortage of those guys. Sorry not much help but maybe a bump will get someone with more knowledge to help out.
Thanks, I ll try fishing it out. Hope it's not a deterrent to the tank.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I ll try fishing it out. Hope it's not a deterrent to the tank.
Most worms are harmless (bobbit excluded) but some people get creeped out by them. I welcome them as they are good scavengers. You may be able to grab it with some forceps or similar. If you do place it in a container of water and snap a pic. It will make getting an ID easier.

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parents had a bobbit worm in our old 120 gallon tank about 7 years ago. The body looked just like that and it even had a similar mound of sand above it, but I'm not totally sure that is one without looking at the head. I'd remove it from the tank and take a better picture then. Going from the top didn't work for us. We had to use tweezers and approach from the side at the very bottom of the glass. That bobbit worm killed quite a few small fish, including a mandarin goby and a clownfish, so I would definitely remove it ASAP if you think there's even a chance it's a bobbit worm.

OP
OP
V

Vezos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R
Most worms are harmless (bobbit excluded) but some people get creeped out by them. I welcome them as they are good scavengers. You may be able to grab it with some forceps or similar. If you do place it in a container of water and snap a pic. It will make getting an ID easier.
Thank you

OP
OP
V

Vezos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parents had a bobbit worm in our old 120 gallon tank about 7 years ago. The body looked just like that and it even had a similar mound of sand above it, but I'm not totally sure that is one without looking at the head. I'd remove it from the tank and take a better picture then. Going from the top didn't work for us. We had to use tweezers and approach from the side at the very bottom of the glass. That bobbit worm killed quite a few small fish, including a mandarin goby and a clownfish, so I would definitely remove it ASAP if you think there's even a chance it's a bobbit worm.
Thanks for the info

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back