Help ID worms swimming water column

Cina05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help please. I just got a huge rock with corals on it from a local reefer. It was too big and funky shaped to QT it. I had it in a bin and used coral dip for 5-6 minuites, then changed out the water and sprayed it down and left it in clean water at 1.040 salinity for another 15 minutes. I didn't see any worms in the water either time. Tonight though, a bunch of these worms started swimming up to the surface from the rock. They swim like a helicopter propeller. I've looked through the forums but haven't positively I'D these guys. I read there's a free swimming stage for bristle worms, but I have bristle worms and have never had these before... Are they dangerous? Is there anything that eats them?

20231001_225450.jpg

Attachments

• 20231001_225437.mp4
    23.9 MB

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:face-with-tears-of-joy: Help please. I just got a huge rock with corals on it from a local reefer. It was too big and funky shaped to QT it. I had it in a bin and used coral dip for 5-6 minuites, then changed out the water and sprayed it down and left it in clean water at 1.040 salinity for another 15 minutes. I didn't see any worms in the water either time. Tonight though, a bunch of these worms started swimming up to the surface from the rock. They swim like a helicopter propeller. I've looked through the forums but haven't positively I'D these guys. I read there's a free swimming stage for bristle worms, but I have bristle worms and have never had these before... Are they dangerous? Is there anything that eats them?

20231001_225450.jpg
I think they are dorvilleidae worms, but yours probably changed style and became disco worms :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I think Bristleworms are varied depending on diet/species. When I cull, I just wave the net gently and they curl up in the water, makes catching easier. I have all different looking one, yeah me

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back