Help ID?

Zack09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,
I am a semi-new reef tank owner. I have a hitchhiker I am trying to ID. I have looked through many threads, asked multiple Facebook groups, and have spent the past week doing a google search with key terms and reverse image google search. Would love any help in identifying it or putting me on a better path to figure out what it is.

Stuff I think would help to know: It hasn't seemed to move or grow in the past week, it doesn't react to touch or light. I have not found any aiptasia in my tank, and this blob doesn't have the typical hydrapolyp head that aiptasia have. It's more a blob with tentacles randomly placed. I have a few fish, snails, hermit crabs, and coral Zoas, sea rod, mushrooms, and from what I can find they don't look like any of those animal/corals eggs. The closest thing it looks like to me is a nudibranch, but it has not moved from that spot since it appeared, and I have not seen any others.
I have also struggled to get photos/video of it as once I zoom in, my phone won't focus in on it. So I hope the images below and short video will prove helpful.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight!

Parameters just in case you want them:
29 Gal tank
Temp 78.8
Nitrate: 25
Ammonia: 0
Phosphate: .01
Calcium: 500
I use RO/DI water that tests at 5 TDS, use instant ocean reef crystals salt, have an HOB filter, and protein skimmer.
IMG_0239.JPG
IMG_0238.JPG
IMG_0241.JPG

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I feel pretty confident the specimen in question is a sponge of some variety, but I can't say that I recognize it. The way it's growing (with club-tips on the "tentacles") is quite unique.

Would it be possible to remove it from the tank (in a bowl of tank water) to get a clearer, closer up pic?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like clatharina sponge

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back