Help/ideas needed for a crawlspace water storage setup

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house is a single level with a ~4ft crawlspace. I am tight on space in closets around the house and am wondering if it's possible to have a storage tank of some kind in the crawlspace? I'd be looking to hold 20-50 gallons...

• I have a Tunze ATO, I'd like to drill a hole in the floor behind the tank and run the power and water line into the crawlspace container to use as my ato bin.
  • I have a BRS 4 stage rodi with booster pump that I would like to mount in the laundry room and run clean water to the crawlspace container, with a float valve providing an auto shut off feature.
  • I would like to be able to "pump" water from this bin to a Brute inside for water changes but am not sure on how to do that?
  • I am in zone 7a and have a brick foundation. Assuming my water pipes don't freeze, there's no issues with having it in the crawlspace?
  • What's the best way to pass the water/electrical lines into the tank to keep debris and pests out?
  • Any suggestions for a container to use?
I hope I can get some input for my questions above. If I can provide more info please let me know. Thanks!

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I would use a bulkhead fitting and pipe large enough for your water and electric lines to go from the tank through to the inside of the house. Maybe separate fittings for the two.
my concern would be access to the storage tank should you need to swap the pump or clean it out for some reason. I like the idea otherwise. Good use of unused space under the floor.

OP
OP
Phyber

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I would use a bulkhead fitting and pipe large enough for your water and electric lines to go from the tank through to the inside of the house. Maybe separate fittings for the two.
my concern would be access to the storage tank should you need to swap the pump or clean it out for some reason. I like the idea otherwise. Good use of unused space under the floor.
Hi!

So I could totally do a BRS 1/4" rodi bulkhead for the ato and rodi systems water flow, but I still am not sure how to get the ato pump wiring inside while sealing off debris. I'll be using wire extensions at some point...I'm not sure I could find small enough gauge wiring to fit into a third 1/4" bulkhead and inside of rodi tubing.

I also don't know if a regular solid grommet would enough for debris.

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking more along the lines of a larger bulkhead for say 1 or 1-1:4” pvc to use as a conduit from the tank in the crawl space through the floor. Then run your 1/4” lines and wiring into the tank through the conduit. Could use a pvc union fitting to disconnect the pipe if you needed to do something to the tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 138 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back