Help identify Chromis problem and cure

Jay M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Just started a new tank. 3 weeks into cycling, one LFS detected okey'ed my levels (used API kits). Tests on same day at another LFS (API) showed high ammonia and nitrites. Long story short, LFS suggested to use Aqua systems start your tank kit, did that and added 2 chromis on Day 3. 4 days in, one of them is doing great, the other one is swimming vertically, with nose down (see pics). Can you guys identify what could this be and what would be a possible cure for it?

At the moment, I've moved it to a separate tank, in case it's some infection and is contagious?

Thanks in advance.

IMG-20220811-WA0009.jpg IMG-20220811-WA0008.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Just started a new tank. 3 weeks into cycling, one LFS detected okey'ed my levels (used API kits). Tests on same day at another LFS (API) showed high ammonia and nitrites. Long story short, LFS suggested to use Aqua systems start your tank kit, did that and added 2 chromis on Day 3. 4 days in, one of them is doing great, the other one is swimming vertically, with nose down (see pics). Can you guys identify what could this be and what would be a possible cure for it?

At the moment, I've moved it to a separate tank, in case it's some infection and is contagious?

Thanks in advance.

IMG-20220811-WA0009.jpg IMG-20220811-WA0008.jpg

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Sorry, that fish won't be able to be saved, its tail is eroded up to the bone. Did the tail erosion start gradually, working its way up to the body, or did it start at the body and work back? The reason that I ask is that new green chromis are really prone to a protozoan disease known as Uronema. Here is an article I wrote on the topic:

Jay

OP
OP
J

Jay M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay, when I noticed it, it had a huge swollen bubble on the tail that layer bursted. The body never seem to be affected.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back