Help identify RO/DI

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I need some help IDing my ro unit. I bought it about a year ago off of eBay and I love it. Except I can no longer remember which one
20160110_012730.jpg
it is to order replacements. I think it is the 100 gpd, but it may also be the 75 gpd, there are no markings at all to tell what model it is. I emailed the company (pure water club) a week or so ago and have not gotten a reply. If I can't figure it out, then I am going to get a BRS unit. But I really love how portable this thing is, when not in use I just stick it under my sink. Does anyone have any ideas which model this is, or should I just suck it up and get a new one? I'm now reading 23 on my TDS meter btw. Thank you:)

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before spending any more money, lets determine how well that system is performing so you don't potentially throw good money away.
Using your TDS meter, what is your tap water TDS, RO only TDS with the DI disconnected and your final RO/DI TDS? What is your water pressure and your water temperature? Using a measuring cup and clock or watch for exactly one minute measure your waste flow then your treated flow and determine your waste ratio.

If your present RO membrane is not efficient you would be spending good money trying to prop it up with DI resin which gets expensive. Rarely if ever do "portable" systems perform as well as normal RO/DI and they are always more expensive to operate since the filters are more expensive, do not come in the proper micron ranges, do not last as long due to less surface area and are harder to find.
Make sure it is working good before investing any more in it.

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are all good things to try, thank you. I've never even thought to test it with the di unattached! My tap water tests around 300 I think, but it's been a while since I've tested it so I will again when I get home from work. I just really like the portable one because use my kitchen sink. I suppose I could attach a brs ro di above my utility sink in the basement. But I really hate lugging water around lol.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any RO/DI can be used portable and put away when not in use. I prefer mounting them more permanent myself since using a faucet adapter ties that faucet up for hours and you also run the risk of someone turning the hot water on and frying the RO membrane.
You want to make sure your RO membrane is operating efficiently since for every 2% it drops you cut your DI life in half and the replacement costs start going up. This is one place the portable systems fall down, they do not normally use 1 micron or smaller sediment filters and many still use granular carbons not solid carbon blocks so the membrane is not well protected and goes downhill fast. You want to be around 98% rejection rate, especially if your tap TDS is close to 300.
Even if you mount the system in the basement there is no reason you can't store water on the main floor. Just make sure your basement is climate controlled and not susceptible to extreme heat and cold or the unit may suffer. BRS would not be my choice if you are considering a new system or replacement filters, you can do better and for less money. Love their chemicals but their RO is average.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you mention it my other half has used hot water with it before. I had totally forgotten about that! And I had always heard good things about brs units, but have never used one personally. What would you recommend? Sorry I am keeping this short while at work.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO membranes cannot take any wate rabove 113 degrees which really isn't all that hot. Never ever try to temper or blend hot and cold to raise the water temp going in to the RO, cold water only.
A few I suggest look at at Spectrapure, Buckeye Hydro and PurelyH2o. All offer reef quality systems at great pricing.

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thank you. I know when I caught him using hot water it was very hot, the tubing even felt hot. I no longer ask him to make me ro water while I am at work lol. I am going to look into the ones you suggested:)

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the hot water ran very long, chances are the RO membrane was damaged and that is the most expensive and most important piece. You would definitely be better off with a new full size system. Besides the really aren't any bigger, just tall verus wide when you clip all the little filters together.
Take a look at the $125 refurbished system from Spectrapure or the same system with its first replacement filters, DI cartridge, TDS meter and chlorine test kit for only $35 more on special.

RCs reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a brs 75 gallon ro/di system. I have had it for over a year it's grated. I'm going to upgrade it to a 6 stage this week but for the money it's grated nicrer failed

Josh King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I need some help IDing my ro unit. I bought it about a year ago off of eBay and I love it. Except I can no longer remember which one
20160110_012730.jpg
it is to order replacements. I think it is the 100 gpd, but it may also be the 75 gpd, there are no markings at all to tell what model it is. I emailed the company (pure water club) a week or so ago and have not gotten a reply. If I can't figure it out, then I am going to get a BRS unit. But I really love how portable this thing is, when not in use I just stick it under my sink. Does anyone have any ideas which model this is, or should I just suck it up and get a new one? I'm now reading 23 on my TDS meter btw. Thank you:)
I'm having the same problem right now. lol. I also bought a 6 stage portable from pure water club. It's been 6 months. I wanted to buy new filters, but for the cost may just buy a whole new unit.

Josh King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any RO/DI can be used portable and put away when not in use. I prefer mounting them more permanent myself since using a faucet adapter ties that faucet up for hours and you also run the risk of someone turning the hot water on and frying the RO membrane.
You want to make sure your RO membrane is operating efficiently since for every 2% it drops you cut your DI life in half and the replacement costs start going up. This is one place the portable systems fall down, they do not normally use 1 micron or smaller sediment filters and many still use granular carbons not solid carbon blocks so the membrane is not well protected and goes downhill fast. You want to be around 98% rejection rate, especially if your tap TDS is close to 300.
Even if you mount the system in the basement there is no reason you can't store water on the main floor. Just make sure your basement is climate controlled and not susceptible to extreme heat and cold or the unit may suffer. BRS would not be my choice if you are considering a new system or replacement filters, you can do better and for less money. Love their chemicals but their RO is average.
I just read through this thread. Thanks for the advise. Who has the most cost-efficient replacement filters? I would spend more on a unit; if, in the long run I would be spending less on filters every 6-8 months. Thanks.

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I am not getting emails for this thread anymore for some reason. 150 gpd does sound familiar. I have yet to actually test everything separately with how busy I've been, but I was wondering what would happen if I got the 150 replacements and it turns out my unit is only 75 gpd? I am still not opposed to getting a new rodi, but I want to look at all my options first.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 132 75.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back