Lostreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Background:
Tank approx 8 months old
Testing nitrates and phosphates every 2-3 days. Nitrates average between 7-5. Phosphate have always read zero. Using Hannah to test (not ULN just regular Phosphate). Attached pictures of what is growing all over my rocks. When disturbed it acts “dusty” and easily comes off. Doesn’t have any bubbles. Not slimy appearance either. Tank inhabitants (yellow tang, hippo tang, foxface, algae Blenny, asterea snails) won’t touch it. Tested RODI and tank water for silicates using Seachem silicate test. Both registered zero. I turned off radions and only running reefbrites at 10% and they don’t seem to change based on lighting. I tried blowing off and siphoning into filter sock and return water back to tank. When it is disturbed and I sock has a very distinct almost sweet “smell”. By the time I cleaned up and put equipment away, rocks were completely covered again. I tried the coffee filter test. After an hour, they seemed to try to regroup. Although, it could just be they settled to the bottom of glass. Not really sure if I’m looking at the results correctly. Been dosing neophos and microbacter7 thinking it was Dino’s. Still running skimmer but running it very dry. Just trying to keep ph up without stripping more phosphates. Did increase feeding but hasn’t made a difference in phosphates. Anyone know what this might be?

915776A3-6566-420C-8BBF-84D765D7D169.jpeg A067C196-9915-4937-B59E-70B29BB7A77E.jpeg 54F52F3B-4BE4-45A7-8D69-433C69C7BEEA.jpeg

OP
OP
L

Lostreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add….the white specs on the rock are sand particles too. Not part of the problem.

OP
OP
L

Lostreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 ive noticed your responses to other posts regarding Dino’s. Any thoughts on this? Diatoms? Cyano? Dinos. Tested water again this morning. Nitrates 8.5 Phosphates 0.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Background:
Tank approx 8 months old
Testing nitrates and phosphates every 2-3 days. Nitrates average between 7-5. Phosphate have always read zero. Using Hannah to test (not ULN just regular Phosphate). Attached pictures of what is growing all over my rocks. When disturbed it acts “dusty” and easily comes off. Doesn’t have any bubbles. Not slimy appearance either. Tank inhabitants (yellow tang, hippo tang, foxface, algae Blenny, asterea snails) won’t touch it. Tested RODI and tank water for silicates using Seachem silicate test. Both registered zero. I turned off radions and only running reefbrites at 10% and they don’t seem to change based on lighting. I tried blowing off and siphoning into filter sock and return water back to tank. When it is disturbed and I sock has a very distinct almost sweet “smell”. By the time I cleaned up and put equipment away, rocks were completely covered again. I tried the coffee filter test. After an hour, they seemed to try to regroup. Although, it could just be they settled to the bottom of glass. Not really sure if I’m looking at the results correctly. Been dosing neophos and microbacter7 thinking it was Dino’s. Still running skimmer but running it very dry. Just trying to keep ph up without stripping more phosphates. Did increase feeding but hasn’t made a difference in phosphates. Anyone know what this might be?

915776A3-6566-420C-8BBF-84D765D7D169.jpeg A067C196-9915-4937-B59E-70B29BB7A77E.jpeg 54F52F3B-4BE4-45A7-8D69-433C69C7BEEA.jpeg
Looks like wired algae in which tangs, and most snails will not touch. However a pencil ot tuxedo urchin as well as ninja star snails may.
Best removal method is to remove rock and place in a container of tank water and scrub with a firm toothbrush and 3% peroxide and return to tank.
Reduce white light intensity and add the forementioned cleaners once rock is scrubbed for control.

OP
OP
L

Lostreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like wired algae in which tangs, and most snails will not touch. However a pencil ot tuxedo urchin as well as ninja star snails may.
Best removal method is to remove rock and place in a container of tank water and scrub with a firm toothbrush and 3% peroxide and return to tank.
Reduce white light intensity and add the forementioned cleaners once rock is scrubbed for control.
I tried my first attempt using the $20 microscope. Could this be Dino’s?
F815F5D8-1335-449A-B32C-A269C4957182.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6619.MOV
    47.3 MB

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back