Help identify what the spots are on powder brown tang

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first. Sorry for the bad pictures. These are mostly around this gills some around his head and eye and they seem almost translucent white.
I currently have the fish in 0.5 ppm of copper, since Thursday when I got him. He came with that concentration of copper from the store. I verified 2 times before I acclimated. No prazipro treatment yet because the fish came in copper so I kept him in copper. It hasn’t ate since Thursday when I got him, and he only nibbled on a bit of nori.

I just noticed them tonight.

Are these flukes or ich?
What do I do, please help.

C9D6D8C2-FA27-4976-BA20-39F5C27E2CC9.jpeg

9EEF4771-A098-4800-890E-6E45D054AE64.jpeg

95067CCA-1B3B-4856-9774-02D41F0B3C53.jpeg

0473422C-466E-4629-8A77-D1F0887D54AF.jpeg

CBF3A2F8-DACE-4FB1-B316-7DB5457609A5.jpeg

0DC17465-92B2-4BF5-9DE3-67F894823B5A.jpeg

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could have both. I would start with a 5 min FW dip. It’s hard to tell from the pics but are there any raised white spots? Can you get any better pics?

OP
OP
G

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a fresh water dip. The spots appear to be gone and he is clean. He tried jumping out a few times during the dip, but was mostly docile. I was so nervous and felt so horrible, but he survived,

He is very disorientated right now, I’ve been pushing him around the tank with a big net trying to get him to swim for the last 10-15 minutes. he is swimming under his own power now, but not like before. I’m quite worried, a few times I pulled the net away and he just sank to the bottom, he isn’t avoiding the net. He seems like he just wants to hang out at bottom of the tank but that’s usually where he sleeps.

Hopefully he makes it through the night and I didn’t do more damage and hopefully he starts eating.

For the fw dip, I used ro/di water, added a bit of tank water which didn’t help with ph, so I added some sodium bicarbonate to match the ph and floated the bucket for temp.

He honestly looks much better, his colour seems better, I have my fingers crossed, it’s gonna be a long night and probably a sleepless one for me.

I don’t think it’s ich because he has been in 0.5ppm of cupramine at the store and since I’ve had him Thursday. At least I’m hoping not.

OP
OP
G

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was advised against using prazipro with copper, instead to use general cure which won’t be here until Friday, best case scenario with canadapost. I cannot source it locally. I’m reading fw dips are temporary relief from flukes.

Should I cancel the copper treatment and start a prazipro, or wait until general cure gets here and perform fw dips if the flukes return.?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a fresh water dip. The spots appear to be gone and he is clean. He tried jumping out a few times during the dip, but was mostly docile. I was so nervous and felt so horrible, but he survived,

He is very disorientated right now, I’ve been pushing him around the tank with a big net trying to get him to swim for the last 10-15 minutes. he is swimming under his own power now, but not like before. I’m quite worried, a few times I pulled the net away and he just sank to the bottom, he isn’t avoiding the net. He seems like he just wants to hang out at bottom of the tank but that’s usually where he sleeps.

Hopefully he makes it through the night and I didn’t do more damage and hopefully he starts eating.

For the fw dip, I used ro/di water, added a bit of tank water which didn’t help with ph, so I added some sodium bicarbonate to match the ph and floated the bucket for temp.

He honestly looks much better, his colour seems better, I have my fingers crossed, it’s gonna be a long night and probably a sleepless one for me.

I don’t think it’s ich because he has been in 0.5ppm of cupramine at the store and since I’ve had him Thursday. At least I’m hoping not.

Did you aerate the water before the dip? Did you see any opaque sesame seed looking things come off?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, sorry I did with an airstone for 20-25 minutes or so until the water reached temp, I did see a few in the bottom of the bucket yes

Treat with Prazipro or General Cure twice, 5-7 days apart. Then do a 25% WC
Make sure to aerate the tank heavily as Prazi depletes O2

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So stop the copper treatment and start prazipro?

You can treat with Prazi while in copper, just aerate heavily and watch for a bacterial bloom, but you should be fine.

OP
OP
G

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can treat with Prazi while in copper, just aerate heavily and watch for a bacterial bloom, but you should be fine.

I just dosed the prazipro, I’ve had an airstone in there all day plus I added another one, hopefully to combat the low o2. The fish was hanging out at the top of the aquarium gulping for air for a few minutes then went back down to his spot. That’s when I decided I had no other option but to dose prazipro. Waiting for general cure wasn’t an option.

Fingers crossed now.

OP
OP
G

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He died this morning. I don’t know where I went wrong, if it was the prazipro or the fw dip. He wasn’t the same after the dip, I don’t know if the prazipro suffocated him, the water wasn’t cloudy and I was heavily aerating it with 2 air stones..
I woke up to him being sucked against the power head. He was disoriented I tried guiding him, he looked like he had no energy and then just let go and died.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He died this morning. I don’t know where I went wrong, if it was the prazipro or the fw dip. He wasn’t the same after the dip, I don’t know if the prazipro suffocated him, the water wasn’t cloudy and I was heavily aerating it with 2 air stones..
I woke up to him being sucked against the power head. He was disoriented I tried guiding him, he looked like he had no energy and then just let go and died.

Flukes can cause damage to the gills you cannot see, typically if a fish doesn’t survive a Properly executed FW dip he most likely wouldn’t survive anyways. I’m sorry for your loss.

OP
OP
G

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes can cause damage to the gills you cannot see, typically if a fish doesn’t survive a Properly executed FW dip he most likely wouldn’t survive anyways. I’m sorry for your loss.

Thank you. I feel terrible a fish died in my care.

So for future reference you think it’s a good idea to start a prazipro treatment and then start copper over. The place I buy fish from seems to keep their fish in copper.

Based on how I described my fw dip, did I do anything wrong?
I don’t wanna go through this again and more importantly I don’t wanna kill another animal.

OP
OP
G

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I started running carbon on the empty qt to remove medications, did a 50% water change as well, though I’m not quite ready yet to get another fish, is there anything else I can do to prepare the qt for a new addition?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I feel terrible a fish died in my care.

So for future reference you think it’s a good idea to start a prazipro treatment and then start copper over. The place I buy fish from seems to keep their fish in copper.

Based on how I described my fw dip, did I do anything wrong?
I don’t wanna go through this again and more importantly I don’t wanna kill another animal.

If you did the FW as the thread instructed then the fish was already too far gone. I usually FW dip a fish on the way into QT because it will let me know if there are any hidden issues.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back