Help Identifying pagoda cup coral frag

Rizzle30

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 16, 2021
Messages
106
Reaction score
65
Location
Minneapolis
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this pagoda cup coral frag a few weeks ago from my lfs and had originally asked another question about it on this site.

Although I never got that question answered some people were commenting that it might not be a pagoda cup coral. As far as I can tell from looking at other pictures of pagoda cup coral frags it looks similar to me.

Maybe some more experienced refers can chime in?
 

Attachments

  • 20210624_083239.mp4
    8.9 MB
Can’t open image in my phone but google pagoda
 
Can’t open image in my phone but google pagoda
Here is the pic. Looks like pagoda cup to me

42ED2C93-ACC9-4C05-B561-18B12CDA3871.png
 
I thought so as well. Had several people say it looks like a zoa but I've compared them both and still thought it was pagoda cup coral, although I admit I'm still learning about identifying corals.
 
Is the base hard or soft? Zoas has a soft/fleshy base. Pagodas are hard/encrusting.
 
I'm not sure but I think it has hard base. Here's a picture of it mostly closed up right after the lights came on in the morning.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20210624-102800_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210624-102800_Gallery.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 57
I'm not sure but I think it has hard base. Here's a picture of it mostly closed up right after the lights came on in the morning.
To be sure you can just touch it with your finger to know if it is a hard or soft. Based on your new picture it definitely looks like a pagoda coral and not a zoanthid . I see small new polyps on the left-hand side and zoas do not show new growth that way
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new