Help identifying QT issue almost killed my Tang

siffuz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I happened to wake up the other night and thought Id look at my Blue Tang in QT when I grabbed a drink of water- FOUND HIM IN VERY BAD SHAPE! I saved him with emetgency 50% water change from my DT. But I dont know what might’ve caused the issue, so now Im very nervous to leave him unattended!. Everything was fine 4 hours earlier when I went to bed. I hadn't changed anything recently.

Ive attached a video, screen shot of Seneye reading at the time and Hanna Copper reading taken of water removed from tank (0.1-0.2 is therapeutic range for my copper product).

Tank details: 35L, HOB filter, airstone, had fish in QT 6 days, no issues with health, behaviour, eating.

Any ideas please? (Also Im very happy to say he is currently still ok)

20210710_044745.jpg

OP
OP
S

siffuz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F4BBDE07-91E6-4973-94F3-D4B527EACD07.jpeg

DE867088-A63D-4AD1-AA80-01F4537944B5.png
7C8D4478-609D-4419-AAC5-C820D7D0FC38.png
Sorry- trouble uploading vid so I took a couple stills from it. He was just flapping wildly on his side, very pale.
The copper was stable at 0.13 for the last 6 days.

OP
OP
S

siffuz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up just adding my tang to my display tank earlier than planned and he/she was trouble-free for about 8 months.
Then, suddenly the same issue arose- “epileptic-like” fits where it would be lying on it’s side pale and unable to move, close to death- I was on hand to revive it a few times, but sadly the last time occurred when I was at work- it was too late to do anything when I got home. I wonder if it was a stress-related issue brought on by a fiesty Reginald Angel I had recently added, who likes to harass its tank-mates
A very sad end for me and “Dory”, but thought I’d update in case anyone else has similar problems

Last edited:

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it dark and then you turned all the lights on? Hippo tangs sleep on their sides like that, mine would wedge itself in very odd positions at night, probably nothing wrong

OP
OP
S

siffuz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it dark and then you turned all the lights on? Hippo tangs sleep on their sides like that, mine would wedge itself in very odd positions at night, probably nothing wrong
yes, I know they like to sleep weirdly, but it was much more than that. It wouldn’t respond to anything that would normally wake a fish. I hoped I was being melodramatic- but when I wasn’t around to physically intervene during one of his “episodes” he died, so I’m sure there was something else going on. I’ve never had any other fish (or Tang) do anything like that

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, I know they like to sleep weirdly, but it was much more than that. It wouldn’t respond to anything that would normally wake a fish. I hoped I was being melodramatic- but when I wasn’t around to physically intervene during one of his “episodes” he died, so I’m sure there was something else going on. I’ve never had any other fish (or Tang) do anything like that
Did you test with something besides Seneye? those things can be really off. Maybe ammonia or ph issue?

OP
OP
S

siffuz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a while ago, I can’t remember exactly what tests I had, but probably Red Sea or Salifert. I would think if the water were off I’d have had other fish loss? My Hippo Tang would only have these issues at night- but why would it kill him/her If it was just normal sleeping?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a while ago, I can’t remember exactly what tests I had, but probably Red Sea or Salifert. I would think if the water were off I’d have had other fish loss? My Hippo Tang would only have these issues at night- but why would it kill him/her If it was just normal sleeping?
what other fish were in the QT? Tangs shouldn't spasm while sleeping

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your using cupramine aren't you. That stuff nuked my quarantine system 2x and killed almost all the fish. I run copper power now and have 0 issues.

OP
OP
S

siffuz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what other fish were in the QT? Tangs shouldn't spasm while sleeping
No, I had it in the display tank for about 8 months with no “episodes” that were happening in Thr QT- it was totally fine, best fish in the tank. Then I added a Reginald’s Angel fish which likes to harass everyone, and the “fits” started again and I lost him/her

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I had it in the display tank for about 8 months with no “episodes” that were happening in Thr QT- it was totally fine, best fish in the tank. Then I added a Reginald’s Angel fish which likes to harass everyone, and the “fits” started again and I lost him/her
Maybe from injury or stress? Fish can just straight up die from stress sometimes

OP
OP
S

siffuz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe from injury or stress? Fish can just straight up die from stress sometimes
Yes, I think probably stress-related. Stress of QT, then again stress from Angel fish. Very sad for me and of course Dory. But no one I’ve talked to have had a similar experience- maybe someone will find my anecdotal experience helpful. Thank you

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back