Help Identifying

jmueggenberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking through a lot of forums and first saltwater tank, new to the diseases, wasting time trying to diagnose on my own... Can't determine if it's ick, velvet or brook and want to treat it right. Tank has been up for 5 weeks, cycled using bio-spira and dr tims, dosed ammonia, cycled in 14 days. 0 amm 0 nitrite, 20ppm nitrate, 8.0-8.1ph, 1.025 salinity. Clownfish have been in the tank for 12 days, fluval evo 13.5 (I didnt' quarantine, learned my lesson, getting qt tank this afternoon for treatment...). Looked great when I got them, about 5 days in noticed one larger white spot on one of them, day or two later it was gone and thought maybe it was a grain of sand. Two days ago noticed a lot of little white spots showing up on edge of fins, both fish. Yesterday could spot them in the right light across the whole fish. Today, the larger fish actually looks like most of the spots have disappeared, swims and eats fine. The smaller one started today out slower swimming, not as much of an appetite, and was hanging out close to water surface and quick breathing. Now (2-3 hours later) The smaller one still seems to be breathing harder, but the spots have become less/less visible and swimming again. Based on velvet and brook descriptions, they should have both probably died by now....so ick? Going to do a freshwater dip while getting qt set up

Clear pictures are from yesterday, red backdrop this morning 3-4 hours ago, and video just a moment ago

PXL_20230323_154322241.jpg PXL_20230322_214846342.jpg PXL_20230322_214833251.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230323_182502364.TS.mp4
    56.1 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Been looking through a lot of forums and first saltwater tank, new to the diseases, wasting time trying to diagnose on my own... Can't determine if it's ick, velvet or brook and want to treat it right. Tank has been up for 5 weeks, cycled using bio-spira and dr tims, dosed ammonia, cycled in 14 days. 0 amm 0 nitrite, 20ppm nitrate, 8.0-8.1ph, 1.025 salinity. Clownfish have been in the tank for 12 days, fluval evo 13.5 (I didnt' quarantine, learned my lesson, getting qt tank this afternoon for treatment...). Looked great when I got them, about 5 days in noticed one larger white spot on one of them, day or two later it was gone and thought maybe it was a grain of sand. Two days ago noticed a lot of little white spots showing up on edge of fins, both fish. Yesterday could spot them in the right light across the whole fish. Today, the larger fish actually looks like most of the spots have disappeared, swims and eats fine. The smaller one started today out slower swimming, not as much of an appetite, and was hanging out close to water surface and quick breathing. Now (2-3 hours later) The smaller one still seems to be breathing harder, but the spots have become less/less visible and swimming again. Based on velvet and brook descriptions, they should have both probably died by now....so ick? Going to do a freshwater dip while getting qt set up

Clear pictures are from yesterday, red backdrop this morning 3-4 hours ago, and video just a moment ago

PXL_20230323_154322241.jpg PXL_20230322_214846342.jpg PXL_20230322_214833251.jpg
Clear case of brooklynella. If I see correctly- the other fish has secondary infections which stem from long term brook.
The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the

OP
OP
J

jmueggenberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was leaning towards this morning...then just didn't know since they started looking better. Thanks for the quick response, ordered other stuff but will be getting Rally Pro ordered if I can't find quick cure

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can see clear individual spots in the second and third photos, so that looks like ich. The first photo could go either way.

If you showed me just the second pic, I would say 100% ich. Best treatment for that is copper or hyposalinity.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jmueggenberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can see clear individual spots in the second and third photos, so that looks like ich. The first photo could go either way.

If you showed me just the second pic, I would say 100% ich. Best treatment for that is copper or hyposalinity.

Jay
Thanks for the help! Got the worst of the two into a freshwater dip and is doing good, the other one really doesn't have any spots on it at all right now and doing fine, can't seem to wrangle it anyway so will wait once I get the qt up to do any more. The first picture I feel is a little blurry and maybe that's what makes it hard. I did order some coppersafe last night so that's on the way as I was thinking ick or velvet last night.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back