Help is it dying?

Dtfnemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI guys can you guys plece ID this coral and tell me if it's dying and what can I do to help it.
My brother got it about a week ago, it seemed healthy for the most part. For the past 3 days it's been shrinking every now and then and I notice that some of the skeleton was showing.... we thought it was probably getting to much flow so we relocated our power head so that it's not getting as much flow as before, but this morning I noticed that it's looking worst, now the skeleton shows even more than before specially the parts that are close to the glass.
As of 4 days ago parameters where ph8.3
Alkalinity 11
Calcium 500
Magnesium 1350
Salinity 1.024
Nitrite, amonia, phosphate are at 0
Nitrate is at 10
What do you gus think?
Thank you!! And happy new year!!

20170101_125557.jpg

erinmegan85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral looks to be a torch. Even though you changed the flow that it was getting, is it still getting a decent amount of flow? I would move it to a low flow area to give it time to heal. I would also dip it just to be on the safe side.

OP
OP
Dtfnemo

Dtfnemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a torch coral, and it doesn't look good. You may try dipping it to see if you can save it.
Thank you for the reply. I'm not familiar with dipping.
Howis it perform, and how effective you think it is

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is a tad low. I keep mine at 1.025 to 1.026, not sure if that's a contributing factor though. I would do a dip for sure and check for any Flatworms (I had a torch a year back that basically was getting eaten by them)

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is a tad low. I keep mine at 1.025 to 1.026, not sure if that's a contributing factor though. I would do a dip for sure and check for any Flatworms (I had a torch a year back that basically was getting eaten by them)
I run my tank at 1.024. I think as long as the salinity is constant, 1.024 should be fine.

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use coral rx, add it to bucket of saltwater with coral in it. 4 capfulls per gallon, aerate with powerhead or keep moving some other way ie gently shake bag, leave in 5 to 10 min then rinse coral with new saltwater and put back in tank

OP
OP
Dtfnemo

Dtfnemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the reply, I want to save it so I'm going to do some more research on coral dipping.
I haven't really seen any worms in my display tank but I'm sure there is some in my sump.
You guys think it could be because of it being placed like that I the sand?

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the reply, I want to save it so I'm going to do some more research on coral dipping.
I haven't really seen any worms in my display tank but I'm sure there is some in my sump.
I don't think so...mine was in the sand and thrived for along time before the Flatworm infestation

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the sand should be fine. The nice part about using Lugol's is that it may also kill any infestation.

OP
OP
Dtfnemo

Dtfnemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consistency is key for sure :)
We just realized how important it is to be consistent with water parameters. For the past moth we have been extremely consistent and seen massive grow on pretty mucheverything.
I'm going to check parameters again today

OP
OP
Dtfnemo

Dtfnemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral looks to be a torch. Even though you changed the flow that it was getting, is it still getting a decent amount of flow? I would move it to a low flow area to give it time to heal. I would also dip it just to be on the safe side.
It is getting very little flow. I'm definitely going to try to dip it today

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back