Help: Is my hammer alright?

dimak2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was cleaning the rocks and noticed the tissue on the hammer receding. is it alright? it was fine today and days before. it was fully extended and looked healthy. everything else in tank is looking alright
my parameters are as follows:

tanks size:10 gallons

Mg 1200 ppm

Ca 450 ppm

KH 9.5 dKH

nitrates: did not test yet but everything else looks fine.

I test my water before and after a waterchange and the parameters never change significantly. I also top off the tank religiously.
20221226_220901.jpg
20221226_220945.jpg

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME hammers are the canaries in the coal mine - they tell you about your water. I've been told that they like Mg over 1300. 1200 isn't critical, but might as well bring it into normal range ~1300 and see what happens. Anecdotally, I keep my Mg around 1350-1450 and and the hammers are wide open and flowing in the water @ about 180-230 PAR. If there's brown jelly on it, that's not a great thing btw.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dimak2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME hammers are the canaries in the coal mine - they tell you about your water. I've been told that they like Mg over 1300. 1200 isn't critical, but might as well bring it into normal range ~1300 and see what happens. Anecdotally, I keep my Mg around 1350-1450 and and the hammers are wide open and flowing in the water @ about 180-230 PAR. If there's brown jelly on it, that's not a great thing btw.
it's been fully open under 1200ppm mg but too be sure I'm retesting my water rn

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sometimes It unfortunately starts with how the frag was cut or fragged.

The area I circled in red on your frag shows signs of either internal filaments or brown jelly.

Either way it was not a clean cut and is most likely the start of the issues.

Some euphyllia actually start dying on the inside 1st. 

Screenshot_20221226_202022_Samsung Internet.jpg

Upvote 1
OP
OP
D

dimak2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes It unfortunately starts with how the frag was cut or fragged.

The area I circled in red on your frag shows signs of either internal filaments or brown jelly.

Either way it was not a clean cut and is most likely the start of the issues.

Some euphyllia actually start dying on the inside 1st. 

Screenshot_20221226_202022_Samsung Internet.jpg
will recuting help in this situation? my acquaitaince has a coral saw

Upvote 0

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you blow that area clear with a pipette?

If you want to try and get the glue off of the cut area you could see how deep or how much brown stuff is there.

Then pipette it clean with fresh SW.

Upvote 0

Katherine Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, sorry to hear youre going through problems. Everyone's advice is spot on. As @MERKEY says, I would consider gluing that opening shut. As @Reef Psychology stated, Euphyillia like higher Magnesium levels. I keep mine at 1500. In addition to everyone else's solid input, I would consider a treatment. When my corals are damaged, much like yours, or I fear they are going through a bacterial infection I like to use a bath/dip. I learned about this from the great @Chummingham's Reef. Ill post it below for you here:
First: 10 min H202 peroxide dip 50ml per 1 gallon of saltwater (Lightly baste the spots concerned for infection)
Second: 6-8 hours with proper heating and flow- 500mg amoxicillin, half bottle of witch hazzel, 4 syringes of Lugol Iodine, 25 ml of Amino Acids in a 5 gallon bucket of saltwater.
You may have to repeat the second step a second day.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dimak2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, sorry to hear youre going through problems. Everyone's advice is spot on. As @MERKEY says, I would consider gluing that opening shut. As @Reef Psychology stated, Euphyillia like higher Magnesium levels. I keep mine at 1500. In addition to everyone else's solid input, I would consider a treatment. When my corals are damaged, much like yours, or I fear they are going through a bacterial infection I like to use a bath/dip. I learned about this from the great @Chummingham's Reef. Ill post it below for you here:
First: 10 min H202 peroxide dip 50ml per 1 gallon of saltwater (Lightly baste the spots concerned for infection)
Second: 6-8 hours with proper heating and flow- 500mg amoxicillin, half bottle of witch hazzel, 4 syringes of Lugol Iodine, 25 ml of Amino Acids in a 5 gallon bucket of saltwater.
You may have to repeat the second step a second day.
thank you, I did a water change and now all parameters are the same besides magnesium which is at 1400.
I'll take the hammer off the frag disc today and start dipping

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dimak2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so, I removed the glue and it appears that the skeleton has a cracked in it. it becomes more visible when I put some pressure. so I glued the crack together, cleaned the base of the skeleton and attached the coral to the disc. after the 8 hour dip, I noticed that two mouths have formed on the coral and overall rn its looking better than it did before.
20221228_233211.jpg

thank you to everyone who replied.

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back