HELP!! IS THIS CORAL GONE FOR GOOD?

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, my friend has been having problems keeping frogspawn alive in his 13.5 gallon reef tank. This is the second frogspawn that dropped its polyps a week after getting it from the same LFS. The thing that's weird is all his other corals are doing fine, including his euphyllias. All his hammers and torches are fine and all have enough space so they don't touch each other. All his other corals look great.He also kept it shaded so I don't think lighting was the issue he's using a Saxby setting on ai prime but lower intensity. Mixes his own saltwater with red sea coral pro and RODI water. He does a 20% weekly water change. Livestock is clowning, firefish goby, blue damsel, 2 trochus snails, 2 small blue leg hermits. Not sure why this is happening please help if you can.

Parameters as of last night
Temp 78.2°
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.1
Dkh 9.1
Calcium 440
Magnesium 1480
Phos .025
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5

20210501_102456.jpg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How old is the tank? Any major swings recently?

let's say the tank is solid and the water is not the issue....please make sure there are not any other issues like rusting screws in sump or stray voltage. If all else seems solid I would start to think about how how euphyllia was fragged and how long it was left to heal before sold.

The skeleton is very white all the way to the frag plug.

This tells me it had flesh all the way down to he frag plug. Do you have a picture of when they 1st got it? And were both pieces cut/fragged the same?

If all other euphyllia are doing fine my thought would be how the frag was cut.

If euphyllia are cut through the flesh they need time to heal before getting shipped and shocked. If not healed properly they will start to receded and eventually bail when transfered tanks to tanks as they get too stressed.

A picture of the purchased frag before it died would be helpful.

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

let's say the tank is solid and the water is not the issue....please make sure there are not any other issues like rusting screws in sump or stray voltage. If all else seems solid I would start to think about how how euphyllia was fragged and how long it was left to heal before sold.

This tells me it had flesh all the way down to he frag plug. Do you have a picture of when they 1st got it? And were both pieces cut/fragged the same?

If euphyllia are cut through the flesh they need time to heal before getting shipped and shocked. If not healed properly they will start to receded and eventually bail when transfered tanks to tanks as they get too stressed.

Tank is almost a year old and all his other corals are flourishing so I don't think it's the water you may be right that it was fragged improperly or didn't have time to heal up. I'm trying to get a Pic of it now but in your opinion is it possible it will come back?? Or its a goner?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have seen polyps return from the skeleton so people keep them in the sump or a low light area. Like start growing a new polyp. Some keep the head that bailed for a while also. There is someone here on r2r that has a hammer head that bailed 6 months ago and they think it is regenerating its skeleton.

I have never personally had one come back for me tho.

I'm so sorry this happened :(

N3mo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some cases it can grow new baby heads from the skeleton, but doesn't happen overnight.

Can keep the skeleton in the tank and see what happens in the next couple of months.

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some cases it can grow new baby heads from the skeleton, but doesn't happen overnight.

Can keep the skeleton in the tank and see what happens in the next couple of months.
Yea my friend was going to throw it out so im keeping him in my small frag tank now to see if anything happens.

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's pics of the frag right when he got it then 1 week later

Attachments

• Snapchat-840771781.jpg
    Snapchat-840771781.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Snapchat-1338174098.jpg
    Snapchat-1338174098.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 43

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back