Help! Lobophyllia tissue recession

AQUAM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 4" lobophyllia from the LFS. It looked plumpy and healthy at the store, but the tissue started to show signs of recession from the moment I brought it home. The parameters of the tank (Reefer 525XL) are normal (Cal:460 dKH: 9.6 pH:8.1-8.2 No3/PO4: near zero), and all the other coral are doing well. This is the first large lobo I bought (I have two 1" lobo frags that are quite happy in the same tank), so my experience is severely lacking. Could anyone provide any tips on how to rescue this poor thing? Many thanks!

IMG_5919.JPG

IMG_5920.JPG

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try placeing it in a shaded area for abit , maybe it's not liking the intensity of your lights , no expert but just a thought

OP
OP
AQUAM

AQUAM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try placeing it in a shaded area for abit , maybe it's not liking the intensity of your lights , no expert but just a thought

Thank you. It’s currently sitting on the sand bed in a relatively low light area, but I’ll definitely try to move it to a more shaded area to see it that’ll help.

OP
OP
AQUAM

AQUAM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that happened in 24 hours? Did anything sting it?

I got it last Saturday so it’s almost been a week. It looks like the tissues are deteriorating more every day. I can’t see anything stinging it, since it’s placed far from all the other corals/anemones.
I dipped it in coral rx when I first got it, and did another 15-minute dip two days ago, so im pretty much ruling out parasites as well.

shaggydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also could anything be picking on it. Maybe a shrimp or crab has gone rogue. It's also pretty new so I agree with lower flow and light while it adjusts

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 86 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back