Help! Low Alk

a6walter1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well dummy me forgot to refill my dosing containers. I typically run alk at 8.6-8.8. It dropped down to 7.3 in 24 hours. I already lost one Millie frag. Any suggestions to mitigate damages?

Thanks

#reefsquad

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't consider that a big drop. I think most corals can handle it. Do they like it, probably not. Will it kill them, probably not. But yeah, just and alk to bring it up slowly. Baked (or not baked but lowers ph) baking soda works if you don't have alk. Or...just run your alk at 7.3. It's perfectly in range.

OP
OP
A

a6walter1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with 7.3 is that I run a high nutrient system. PO4 around 0.5ppm and Nitrate around 10 ppm. High nutrients don't mix with low Alk.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the way to do it. Surprised the milli died from that small of a swing but individual corals can be more sensitive. I forgot to fill my reservoirs before leaving on vacation and my alkalinity was 4.5 when I got back. I lost all but 2 of my SPS. Surprisingly a large bonsai acro lost some color but survivied. Both SPS that survivied were larger colonies. Good luck!

OP
OP
A

a6walter1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ran my dosers for 30 mins to dose 30mL. That should raise it 10ppm or so. I will turn my dosers back on their normal schedule that retest tomorrow evening.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the drop happened that fast you should have a lot and large stony corals.
I had on one point 120 large colonies in a frag tank and my CaRx stopped working while I was out of town.
My ALK dropped from 8 as I run ULNS in the frag tanks to 5.4 but didn't lost a thing.
When I got back I raised it up in 24 hrs back to 8.
No bad effects what so ever as I have it done may times.
Don't think your milli died from a drop like that.

OP
OP
A

a6walter1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have an SPS dominated tank, and it's only a 75 gallon, so my swings are large when i forget stuff. As for why the Millie frag died, it's a mystery to me, the only thing that has changed since I got it a few weeks ago was the alk issue today. PO4 is constant at 0.02 to 0.05 Nitrate is constant around 10 Calcium at 420, Mag at 1300. Why do corals hate me?? Lol

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yes, I have an SPS dominated tank, and it's only a 75 gallon, so my swings are large when i forget stuff. As for why the Millie frag died, it's a mystery to me, the only thing that has changed since I got it a few weeks ago was the alk issue today. PO4 is constant at 0.02 to 0.05 Nitrate is constant around 10 Calcium at 420, Mag at 1300. Why do corals hate me?? Lol
Unfortunantly it happens, i wouldnt see a problem if you raised it back to your desired level, just not all at once. Over the coarse of a day should be fine. I agree, some acropora just arent happy about it, especially echinatas and smooth skinned. But anywho, hope everything turns out ok!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back