Help! Male Anthais

kmurphy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
71657205647__8756898C-BABD-4DDD-8644-D3602FFD2AD1.jpeg

help! This is a male Anthias we have had for two weeks and he seemed to be doing fine but he was hiding this morning. He is not swimming around or eating. I can’t tell if the wound at his gill is from aggression or illness.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you move some rocks to get him? Looks like a bacterial infection

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
71657205647__8756898C-BABD-4DDD-8644-D3602FFD2AD1.jpeg

help! This is a male Anthias we have had for two weeks and he seemed to be doing fine but he was hiding this morning. He is not swimming around or eating. I can’t tell if the wound at his gill is from aggression or illness.
I am able to expand this picture. From the looks of raised scaled and oval pattern, fish appears to have uronema which is Not uncommon with this fish. Uronema is an oval ciliated motile protozoan which causes tissue necrosis as seen on fish. What other fish are in the tank?
This can also be triggered by low salinity levels as well as excess food waste on tank bottom which this protozoan can feed on as often prevention can be more valuable than cure for this.
Fish will have to be quarantined and treated with formalin based treatment which is harder to find, so next option is Ruby rally Pro. Chloroquine Phosphate will also work but must be used precisely. Uronema is not an obligate parasite, and can thrive on bacteria, uneaten food, and waste so besides treatment also maintain a clean tank removing waste daily.
What other fish are in the tank?

OP
OP
K

kmurphy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am able to expand this picture. From the looks of raised scaled and oval pattern, fish appears to have uronema which is Not uncommon with this fish. Uronema is an oval ciliated motile protozoan which causes tissue necrosis as seen on fish. What other fish are in the tank?
This can also be triggered by low salinity levels as well as excess food waste on tank bottom which this protozoan can feed on as often prevention can be more valuable than cure for this.
Fish will have to be quarantined and treated with formalin based treatment which is harder to find, so next option is Ruby rally Pro. Chloroquine Phosphate will also work but must be used precisely. Uronema is not an obligate parasite, and can thrive on bacteria, uneaten food, and waste so besides treatment also maintain a clean tank removing waste daily.
What other fish are in the tank?
I was concerned about that. I have two female anthais - one disappeared about a week ago and my local store replaced it and told me it was probably aggression. I also have a yellow eye kole tang, juvenile blue Atlantic tang, clarkii pearl eyed clown, leopard wrasse, yellow wrasse, flame hawkfish and flame angel. I also just purchased a golden head sleeper goby that I was supposed to be adding.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was concerned about that. I have two female anthais - one disappeared about a week ago and my local store replaced it and told me it was probably aggression. I also have a yellow eye kole tang, juvenile blue Atlantic tang, clarkii pearl eyed clown, leopard wrasse, yellow wrasse, flame hawkfish and flame angel. I also just purchased a golden head sleeper goby that I was supposed to be adding.
Keep an eye on flame who is susceptible to this disease

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_0688.jpeg

well, he did not make it very long. Here is a picture that shows the discoloration and wound.
Sorry. it's always hard to judge based on an out of water dead picture - however uronema is possible as @vetteguy53081 said

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
IMG_0688.jpeg

well, he did not make it very long. Here is a picture that shows the discoloration and wound.
Sorry to hear and often when you see the marks, it’s begun internally and has worked its way out making it too late for treatment in some cases

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 151 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back