Help! Maroon clownfish turning gray not ich!

nemoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum I’m really worried about my clownfish. He’s a maroon clownfish(male) and I’ve had him for about 4 months. He’s been doing fine except about a month ago he developed a couple of grey blotches on his face and now he’s losing more color as you can see in the pictures. I’ve been researching and trying to figure it out since I saw the first small blotches but I still have no idea what it is. However what worries me is that his appetite has decreased for about a week now(he eats every day) but he used to have a much bigger appetite and get super excited about food and now he’s eating much less and seems not as excited. I also just saw him slightly scratch his face on the pineapple house for the first time and this combined with the graying face and appetite loss makes me think he’s sick but I don’t know with what. He has no tank mates, all parameters are normal except temperature is a bit lower than it used to be because of the weather getting colder its at 72-75 degrees now, I plan on adding a second water heater to help and i suspect that this may be the reason for the appetite decrease since it started with the weather getting colder. My main concern is the grey face, I know for sure that its not ich or velvet.

Please help with any guesses or advice I’m really worried and I’m scared that I’m running out of time to find out what’s wrong with him :(

930D3B89-EB24-4680-8C65-FB7C6815BC5E.jpeg 796834C6-50E9-4030-B474-63C0303D5CF3.jpeg E1B70F3E-0C28-4ABB-9BFA-2C641CADE7BA.jpeg 6EE3A5A7-8E3D-4F05-854C-E66E31FC77F0.jpeg D76A0EB4-CE2C-4A21-83F6-EA09E13B88F2.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

What is the size of the tank and the wattage of the heater?

The skin color fading and the scratching can indicate flukes. You may have difficulty getting Prazipro in Canada though.

The last photo shows the fish has a developmental deformity - see how the head is pinched at the white stripe? I see that a lot in tank raised clowns. It may or may not affect the fish's health long term, depends on the severity of it.

Jay

Upvote 0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 69 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 64 27.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back