Help Me.... Aquarium Controllers; which ones do I need

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what controllers are but I thought it was pretty basic, u buy one and that's it, but after looking at some threads with aquarium cabinets, I saw that you guys have so many different systems and controllers and it's confusing me.
I went on saltwateraquarium.com and saw tens to hundreds of different products relating to aquarium controllers. There are sooo many I don't know what I need.
  1. So, which ones do I actually need. (I've seen so much from the power bar to a variable light dimming and a flow control thingy and a leak detection kit... Just look here: https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/search.php?search_query=neptune&section=product. What does each of them do?
  2. what does an Apex trident do? Do I need it
  3. And what is a Doser?
  4. What's the silver display for?
So far I just bought this: https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/apex-wifi-aquarium-controller-system-neptune-systems/ thats it.
this isn't for a full on reef tank but a FOWLR with maybe some soft corals. But people recommended the controller because I'll be housing expensve fish.
Also about the cabinets, do you guys just DIY it from a regular cabinet or do you buy it from somewhere. Can I have some ideas if u did it yourself but if you bought it where did you buy it from?

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really depends on what you want from the controller. You won’t need a trident though if you are doing a fowlr. Some add auto feeders, leak detection, auto top off. None is required but definitely can be very beneficial.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what controllers are but I thought it was pretty basic, u buy one and that's it, but after looking at some threads with aquarium cabinets, I saw that you guys have so many different systems and controllers and it's confusing me.
I went on saltwateraquarium.com and saw tens to hundreds of different products relating to aquarium controllers. There are sooo many I don't know what I need.
  1. So, which ones do I actually need. (I've seen so much from the power bar to a variable light dimming and a flow control thingy and a leak detection kit... Just look here: https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/search.php?search_query=neptune&section=product. What does each of them do?
  3. And what is a Doser?
So far I just bought this: https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/apex-wifi-aquarium-controller-system-neptune-systems/ thats it.
this isn't for a full on reef tank but a FOWLR with maybe some soft corals. But people recommended the controller because I'll be housing expensve fish.
Also about the cabinets, do you guys just DIY it from a regular cabinet or do you buy it from somewhere. Can I have some ideas if u did it yourself but if you bought it where did you buy it from?
The trident automatically tests your water. Dosers add elements into the tank to raise or lower parameters. The silver display is to control your apex on the spot without your phone. Most of the guys buy cabinets and build false walls. Thats what I did for mine. If you plan on a fish only tank or just soft corals, you won’t need dosers or the trident. If you want stony corals it will help out for sure! Here’s the display in my stand :)

22AAC975-2D84-40FF-AB12-F09DFFFBEA52.jpeg 2F6C75FE-C2FF-4D2C-8EDC-5E0A8A109D82.jpeg E874922D-D9DF-4F92-955F-E4B40386BA31.jpeg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  3. And what is a Doser?

Tanks don't NEED a controller. Some people use them for peace of mind and to help them complete tasks automatically. Many people don't use them at all.

If you are FOWLR, you don't need a doser, a doser is to replace elements like alk/ca/mg that corals use up.

Some of the control's like dimming and flow control only work with certain products. You can't just dim any light or control any powerhead so keep that in mind when making purchases.

For FOWLR you would probably use it to control your heater, leak detection and such. It is not as useful for just fish.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a full apex system. That means the controller, four-five expansion outlets, feeder, DOS, another DOS to DOS to the DOS, Trident, probes for everything to ensure you’ll never actually do any physical testing to your tank and to implicitly trust the machine beyond all rationale, a box that allows you to use jebao pumps that you won’t even use because you have mp40s and most importantly... A wooden board, preferably painted white or black with the little plastic computer cable circle cutouts. This will allow you to mount thousands of dollars in overpriced orange, silver & white equipment so you can distract your friends away from looking at the hundreds of dollars of dry rock in your tank. Placing a tablet on the wall next to your tank helps with this and will make you look like you know what you’re doing.

But seriously, I use an ancient Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper 2. All I expect it to do it turn stuff on/off at a certain time, temperature and ph. If you like doing everything remotely and trusting your controller to not fail, then an apex system is for you. It’s also for you if you like showing off overpriced but snazzy equipment like a dog show judge (flame on again). But if you like checking your tank everyday and have someone you trust who can babysit your tank on vacations, then a simple light timer and a powerstrip could be all you really need. What we need and what we want aren’t necessarily the same things in this hobby. You have to ask yourself what’s required in your daily life to maintain your tank.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assumption of requirements:

Fish Only with Soft Corals
Timer for lights
Heater control

Options:
Leak detection
other?

A powerstrip, rainbird heater control, and appliance timer would be the bare bones needed.
A used Apex system would fit your needs very well and saved a ton of cash. It would also let you know about possible power outages affecting your tank and optional auto feeding/leak detection.

The biggest thing about controllers to keep in mind is that they are a lot like buying a new car or building a house. There is the base unit, then all the additional bells and whistles.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a full apex system. That means the controller, four-five expansion outlets, feeder, DOS, another DOS to DOS to the DOS, Trident, probes for everything to ensure you’ll never actually do any physical testing to your tank and to implicitly trust the machine beyond all rationale, a box that allows you to use jebao pumps that you won’t even use because you have mp40s and most importantly... A wooden board, preferably painted white or black with the little plastic computer cable circle cutouts. This will allow you to mount thousands of dollars in overpriced orange, silver & white equipment so you can distract your friends away from looking at the hundreds of dollars of dry rock in your tank. Placing a tablet on the wall next to your tank helps with this and will make you look like you know what you’re doing.

But seriously, I use an ancient Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper 2. All I expect it to do it turn stuff on/off at a certain time, temperature and ph. If you like doing everything remotely and trusting your controller to not fail, then an apex system is for you. It’s also for you if you like showing off overpriced but snazzy equipment like a dog show judge (flame on again). But if you like checking your tank everyday and have someone you trust who can babysit your tank on vacations, then a simple light timer and a powerstrip could be all you really need. What we need and what we want aren’t necessarily the same things in this hobby. You have to ask yourself what’s required in your daily life to maintain your tank.
Lol you mean a $3k computer to keep my tank from crashing when I’m on 3 week business trips? When your tank is full of corals worth much more than the system, it is an excellent insurance policy. Be jealous all you want but don’t misinform and undermine the purpose of the equipment. Do you know how much you pay per year for car insurance? The average American pays upwards of $4,000 per year. But when you crash your car, the insurance covers everything. Your medical is paid for. Your car is fixed etc. Expenses that could easily add up to 10x your insurance bill. The point is it is a financial security blanket. Chances are, you won’t ever use it but it gives peace of mind. The apex system is a security blanket. If my heater decides to die, I get notified and can cut the power. I’ll pick the insurance every day. I’ll protect my investments.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol you mean a $3k computer to keep my tank from crashing when I’m on 3 week business trips? When your tank is full of corals worth much more than the system, it is an excellent insurance policy. Be jealous all you want but don’t misinform and undermine the purpose of the equipment. Do you know how much you pay per year for car insurance? The average American pays upwards of $4,000 per year. But when you crash your car, the insurance covers everything. Your medical is paid for. Your car is fixed etc. Expenses that could easily add up to 10x your insurance bill. The point is it is a financial security blanket. Chances are, you won’t ever use it but it gives peace of mind. The apex system is a security blanket. If my heater decides to die, I get notified and can cut the power. I’ll pick the insurance every day. I’ll protect my investments.

I love how people flame when I question the value of an apex system as if they’re the best way to prevent disaster on a three week vacation when something way more affordable and probably more reliable can do the job too. A basic heater controller is one of them. Like I said, I use a reefkeeper to control temperature. If a heater fails, it’ll shut it off too. Pretty much any heater controller or anything else that can be placed on a temperature/level/ph sensor can do this too. I don’t need a notification for that just so I can go through whatever approval process in my phone to feel important when in reality, there’s nothing I can personally do outside of tap a button and stress. I typically have someone who can check on the tank every day or other day to make sure things are doing ok anyways, which is exactly what you would probably do after getting a notification from a $3000 system. You know what that person will then do? Call me on my phone and tell me something is wrong. I can then tell them how to resolve it!! Wow!! I’m guessing you’ll probably say “well I don’t have someone to check on my tank for three weeks”. So when something that isn’t controllable from your precious orange and silver box goes haywire, then what? You’re SOL anyways right? Spend your money how you want though, I don’t care. It’s just not a must-have thing and this is the honest truth. I say this for any new reefer who gets sucked into the dog show that is the reefing community and the expectations that follow. I misinformed people in no way and I’m also not jealous over anyone buying overpriced and overrated gear. I don’t need it and neither does the majority of people in this hobby. Value is up to the individual.

Last edited:

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how people flame when I question the value of an apex system as if they’re the best way to prevent disaster on a three week vacation when something way more affordable and probably more reliable can do the job too. A basic heater controller is one of them. Like I said, I use a reefkeeper to control temperature. If a heater fails, it’ll shut it off too. Pretty much any heater controller or anything else that can be placed on a temperature/level/ph sensor can do this too. I don’t need a notification for that just so I can go through whatever approval process in my phone to feel important when in reality, there’s nothing I can personally do outside of tap a button and stress. I typically have someone who can check on the tank every day or other day to make sure things are doing ok anyways, which is exactly what you would probably do after getting a notification from a $3000 system. You know what that person will then do? Call me on my phone and tell me something is wrong. I can then tell them how to resolve it!! Wow!! Spend your money how you want though. It’s just not a must-have thing and this is the honest truth. I misinformed people in no way and I’m also not jealous over anyone buying overpriced and overrated gear. Value is up to the individual.
Maybe I don’t want people in my house unattended. Friends or not. I don’t want anyone in my house if I’m not home. Your $10 Chinese temperature controller don’t help control your cal, alk, mg, water changes, ato, feeding, lights, flow, or detect leaks. It also can’t tell when a return pump is burning out. Or when your skimmer is overflowing.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I don’t want people in my house unattended. Friends or not. I don’t want anyone in my house if I’m not home. Your $10 Chinese temperature controller don’t help control your cal, alk, mg, water changes, ato, feeding, lights, flow, or detect leaks. It also can’t tell when a return pump is burning out. Or when your skimmer is overflowing.

“ or anything else that can be placed on a temperature/level/ph sensor can do this too”

You do realize these exist right?

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah forums, such wonderful places those who cannot afford an Apex rag on them from jealously and those who own them defend their purchase decision. No point pushing a personal agenda, an Apex controller is a valuable tool for those who use them to their potential.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can automatically test the water for you? I didn’t know float valves can test water.

I didn’t know your water parameter changed that rapidly to warrant an automatic tester. If you’re worried about your tank crashing due to alk/cal/mg over the course of three weeks, you should really rethink how stable your system is TBH.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know your water parameter changed that rapidly to warrant an automatic tester. If you’re worried about your tank crashing due to alk/cal/mg over the course of three weeks, you should really rethink how stable your system is TBH.
Have you ever kept stony corals? I suggest you educate yourself LOL

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stony corals grow, they continually suck in more and more calcium, alk, and mg. They can very easily double their intake over a week. And sometimes not so much. If my stony corals doubled their intake each week, my calcium would be waaayyy too low. And yes, stony corals are temperamental enough to die because of 300ppm of calcium over a week :)

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah forums, such wonderful places those who cannot afford an Apex rag on them from jealously and those who own them defend their purchase decision. No point pushing a personal agenda, an Apex controller is a valuable tool for those who use them to their potential.

Again, I’m not jealous of people who can afford them (I can). They’re just not my cup of tea. I’d rather buy other stuff that has more perceived value to me. I feel sorry for anyone who thought they actually needed a full apex system from the beginning and now look at an practically empty tank. It’s great they can shut pumps on and off from their phone though....

I’ll bet a lot of us bought something and a few months later wondered why.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back