Help Me.... Aquarium Controllers; which ones do I need

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you don’t see fluctuations in cal, alk, mg intake? That’s fascinating....

I don’t because my dosing is dialed in. If I need to make a slight adjustment, it’s every few months. The goal with sps is not constantly messing with stuff. Try to corner me all you want though, it won’t work unless you can tell everyone who drips kalk that they’re wrong and need to buy a trident system.

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I’m not jealous of people who can afford them (I can). They’re just not my cup of tea. I’d rather buy other stuff that has more perceived value to me. I feel sorry for anyone who thought they actually needed a full apex system from the beginning and now look at an practically empty tank. It’s great they can shut pumps on and off from their phone though....

I’ll bet a lot of us bought something and a few months later wondered why.
Well OP asked about them so pushing your agenda is not exactly helping OP, nor is my message here so rather then questioning your perceived value on aquarium controllers we let people who enjoy them answer the questions.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t because my dosing is dialed in. If I need to make a slight adjustment, it’s every few months. The goal with sps is not constantly messing with stuff. Try to corner me all you want though, it won’t work unless you can tell everyone who drips kalk that they’re wrong and need to buy a trident system.
;Hilarious ;Dead

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well OP asked about them so pushing your agenda is not exactly helping OP, nor is my message here so rather then questioning your perceived value on aquarium controllers we let people who enjoy them answer the questions.

The clue here is in the title of the topic:

“ Aquarium Controllers; which ones do I need”

Is an apex system a MUST now? Last I checked, no. By all means though, research what’s going to work best for you and go with it but DON’T feel like you need to be shoehorned into going in one specific direction because people think one thing or another is the best.

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, which ones do I actually need. (I've seen so much from the power bar to a variable light dimming and a flow control thingy and a leak detection kit... Just look here: https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/search.php?search_query=neptune&section=product. What does each of them do?
Very broad question, the power bar is a basic on/off controller, functions like a feed cycle can be programmed to turn devices on or off automatically.

what does an Apex trident do? Do I need it
The trident is a testing device, you do not need it, nor do you need an Apex.

And what is a Doser?
A device to add or dose liquids to your aquarium.

What's the silver display for?
This is a HMI for the controller.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there needs to be a distinction made between what is a “necessity” and what is a “novelty”.

IMO the are necessities for a reef tank:

-Quality source water
-Quality salt mix
-A method to maintain stable temperature
-Adequate flow for the desired corals
-Adequate lighting for the desired corals

That’s it in the most basic sense.

These are novelties:

-Nitrate/phosphate reduction methods
-Automation aside from heating/cooling
-Replenishment methods for alkalinity/calcium/magnesium
-Lighting that offers more than basic support for coral growth

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to see pictures ;Hilarious

I’m sure you would, but it’s a new build with a few frags this time. I can though if you’re that into seeing downward encrusting and nice coloration. I focus on keeping water first and foremost. Would you like me to post my daily parameters?

Here’s a few just for the fun of it. This was over the last month. Humble beginnings for sure. Love these weird saturated night pictures.

DAF3CF39-D253-4989-B042-B33AB733B27E.jpeg 9BF3D20F-1B8B-4445-9AA7-D3D7D85600D5.jpeg 0A91024B-D6CD-478D-81AE-1D048E93C66A.jpeg 34E6E5FA-54F6-4538-B5B9-540C18738253.jpeg

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure you would, but it’s a new build with a few frags this time. I can though if you’re that into seeing downward encrusting and nice coloration. I focus on keeping water first and foremost. Would you like me to post my daily parameters?

Here’s a few just for the fun of it. This was over the last month. Humble beginnings for sure. Love these weird saturated night pictures.

DAF3CF39-D253-4989-B042-B33AB733B27E.jpeg 9BF3D20F-1B8B-4445-9AA7-D3D7D85600D5.jpeg 0A91024B-D6CD-478D-81AE-1D048E93C66A.jpeg 34E6E5FA-54F6-4538-B5B9-540C18738253.jpeg
They’re not even big enough to consume anything yet. You can’t tell me you don’t see a difference and know it all if your corals aren’t big enough to be seen more than 2 feet away from the tank.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there needs to be a distinction made between what is a “necessity” and what is a “novelty”.

IMO the are necessities for a reef tank:

-Quality source water
-Quality salt mix
-A method to maintain stable temperature
-Adequate flow for the desired corals
-Adequate lighting for the desired corals

That’s it in the most basic sense.

These are novelties:

-Nitrate/phosphate reduction methods
-Automation aside from heating/cooling
-Replenishment methods for alkalinity/calcium/magnesium
-Lighting that offers more than basic support for coral growth
Nitrate and phosphate reduction is kinda essential for happy corals. So are dosers. And “lighting that offers more than basic support for coral growth”.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate and phosphate reduction is kinda essential for happy corals. So are dosers. And “lighting that offers more than basic support for coral growth”.

Wrong. If water changes are done consistently and in a sufficient amount, nitrate and phosphate methods (talking about carbon dosing, skimmer, ats, fuge, etc.) are not necessary. A reefer who does not own these necessities can still be successful and that’s why Iisted them as such. It may become a discussion of practicality though, which goes into novelties.. Also, If a light can grow coral, that’s enough for the coral from a fundamental standpoint. The coral may be ugly, but that’s not the point. Everything else is for the human viewing of the coral. Nice try though.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re not even big enough to consume anything yet. You can’t tell me you don’t see a difference and know it all if your corals aren’t big enough to be seen more than 2 feet away from the tank.

Dude, why are you assuming this is my first rodeo? Are you that upset over me telling people apex isn’t their only option and now you feel like you have to discredit me to “win” whatever lame counterpoints you’ve put out? First off, alk consumption is around .4 dhk daily. I know because I dose kalk on the hour through a dosing pump (used to drip, but hated unclogging tips). I’ve also owned acros well over the past decade (some colonies were the size of basketballs) and I’m certainly not the first reefer to go a different direction with my display from time to time. I like to grow my stuff out and try something different every now and then. So what? If you reset your setup, would you like being essentially called a noob because you restarted with frags? Probably not. I try to treat people with respect no matter what their tank currently looks like. And I’m not here to impress you. I’m here to give my honest opinion. If you don’t like it, you don’t have to reply.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tom the Bomb - you are an appropriately named original poster. You certainly seem to have lit the fuse.
Ehh, I'm on board with those saying you don't need anything. In my 20's, long ago, I didn't even have my lights on a timer, mostly since my old shop-light fixtures needed you to hold in the button to start the ballast. And I was in the navy, so I had to trust my roommates when I was away. Those were primarily FOWLR. BUT...controllers do make things easier, simpler, and safer. So sure, if you are away a lot, have a large investment in sensitive animals, or are not so motivated to do everything manually, controllers can make your life better.
I'd suggest you stay pretty manual for a while - maybe a timer for lights. Find out what is important to you, and build up over time. One thing to consider - hands on is a good learning background for eventually getting a controller to do what you want it to do. I still don't have a controller, but I have some timers and a wifi power strip, I have an ATO, and I'm thinking I'll get some kind of controller in about a year, mostly to shut things down if there is a leak or other detectable emergency and let me know.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m done hijacking this thread I swear. I started off with the bare minimum like many here and I made it work. But over time I got tired of doing things like adding ro/di by hand to make up for evaporation. So I got an ATO. Awesome, love it. I still have to lug five gallon buckets from the garage to the topoff container, but it’s only once a week. I can live with that. I used to switch off a bunch of power strips to turn off my pumps at feeding time. Now I use a reefkeeper which has a “feed mode”. I used to do water changes on the weekend which I despise. I’m going to be installing an automatic water changer this week to do it every day. Are all of these things necessary? No. But they do make things more convenient. Everything has a learning curve to it though. I’ve had issues with my ato, dosers, calcium reactors, all manner of pumps and loads of other things that were meant to make my life easier until I figured out their quirks. Few things in this hobby are immune to that no matter how high-end accessories may be. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are at least a dozen ecotech/apex/gyre topics based around some quirk in this forum in the last six months alone. I ended up selling a pair of maxspect xf250 gyres because of their quirks and they were NOT cheap, lol. Finally to your question. If you’re running a FOWLR tank, a controller will help by giving your tank an added layer of security, mainly in keeping temperature stable if a heater fails or if the tank gets too hot and you want a fan to turn on. Aside from that, I wouldn’t go crazy and get anything more than a basic controller regardless of brand. I don’t see you needing automated dosing or testing if you’re keeping softies. Water changes will probably give them what they need. If you want remote controllability of pumps and whatnot, the apex is the direction you want to go. Again, everything has its quirks, so don’t expect anything, especially a controller to be plug-and-play. There’s a little setup involved, especially with the more high-end controllers since they can control a lot of different things.

Last edited:

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m done hijacking this thread I swear. I started off with the bare minimum like many here and I made it work. But over time I got tired of doing things like adding ro/di by hand to make up for evaporation. So I got an ATO. Awesome, love it. I still have to lug five gallon buckets from the garage to the topoff container, but it’s only once a week. I can live with that. I used to switch off a bunch of power strips to turn off my pumps at feeding time. Now I use a reefkeeper which has a “feed mode”. I used to do water changes on the weekend which I despise. I’m going to be installing an automatic water changer this week to do it every day. Are all of these things necessary? No. But they do make things more convenient. Everything has a learning curve to it though. I’ve had issues with my ato, dosers, calcium reactors, all manner of pumps and loads of other things that were meant to make my life easier until I figured out their quirks. Few things in this hobby are immune to that no matter how high-end accessories may be. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are at least a dozen ecotech/apex/gyre topics based around some quirk in this forum in the last six months alone. I ended up selling a pair of maxspect xf250 gyres because of their quirks and they were NOT cheap, lol. Finally to your question. If you’re running a FOWLR tank, a controller will help by giving your tank an added layer of security, mainly in keeping temperature stable if a heater fails or if the tank gets too hot and you want a fan to turn on. Aside from that, I wouldn’t go crazy and get anything more than a basic controller regardless of brand. I don’t see you needing automated dosing or testing if you’re keeping softies. Water changes will probably give them what they need. If you want remote controllability of pumps and whatnot, the apex is the direction you want to go. Again, everything has its quirks, so don’t expect anything, especially a controller to be plug-and-play. There’s a little setup involved, especially with the more high-end controllers since they can control a lot of different things.
By hijacking do you mean trying to force your opinion on others? The ranting trying to get others to agree with your opinion is cute but getting old ;Hilarious

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By hijacking do you mean trying to force your opinion on others? The ranting trying to get others to agree with your opinion is cute but getting old ;Hilarious

This is where you’re fundamentally wrong about me and this will also be the last time I respond to you. It’s getting depressing and honestly I don’t tolerate bullies well. This forum is supposed to be family-friendly and I’m not going to recognize your antagonism any longer or go down the negative path myself and embarrass you with your own ignorance, so instead just go have a nice day and leave me alone. For clarity and for everyone else, this was from my very first post in this topic where I clearly provide a contrast and not a criticism or preference for any option. Again, buy what you want, it’s your money:

“If you like doing everything remotely and trusting your controller to not fail, then an apex system is for you.“

“But if you like checking your tank everyday and have someone you trust who can babysit your tank on vacations, then a simple light timer and a powerstrip could be all you really need.”

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lotta replies since I posted it.
Anyways, so the trident tests stuff like alk, cal and the Dos adds stuff to adjust them right? well I guess i won't be needing them just a regualar apex controller with 2 energy bar 832s for all the outlets. (just to clarify, 2 energy bars only require 1 brain right?) As for automctic feeders, i have a bunch its just that theyre from eheim not apex. And also a silver display with the 4 probes wll do too
thx for all the help :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back