Help me choose a Wavemaker

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there fellow reefers! Closing out my initial equipment purchase and need to get a couple of wave makers. My goal is to start slow and go to a mixed reef in the long term. I will be using a 65g (36"x18"x24" tank). I have been researching wave makers / pumps and there is so much choice and so many versions within products!

I think I have narrowed it down to either:

A) 2 x Coral Box QP-5 OR QP-9
B) 2 x Reef Power RP-M
C) Not sure if any Jebao ones are good? (SLW / SDW/ SOW)
D) Thoughts on the AI Nero 5? Likely need 2 to cover tank. Not liking due to cost
E) Ecotech - cadillac it seems but don't want to spend that much for 2 pumps :)

Thanks for your help.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally love Ecotech yes they are a little pricy but they are very nice and love how there is no cord in tank.

Richard ML

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning towards a pair of Coralbox QPS9's for my 90G build based on hours and hours of research... but I'm also considering a single gyre-style pump such as an IceCap 4K. But from what I've learned, those coralbox pumps are pretty much the absolute quietest at their flow rate + price point.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have eco tech but for your size tank I think I would do 2 neros or 2 Reef octo pumps, I ran one for a year before my upgrade and loved it.
Its always an investment, but the good stuff works well and last.
Best of luck

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nero 5 working with an icekap gyre 2k or something like that lol the Nero is amazing the controllability is awesome and it’s all from your phone I personally would rather all the controls be on my phone rather than messing with buttons and such... it’s a little pricey so mine is used but is dead silent if you get one get the fish guard just to be safe ! Other than that the gyres are awesome I added the Nero so I can get more random flow !

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a pair of Jebao ow-25s in my 40b paired together taking turns blowing from opposite corners. Totally silent putting out great flow. Whole tank is happy and growing.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why no Tunze on your list? They are wonderful, last for a long time and are not expensive as MPs yet you don't have to buy patent-stealing Chinese stuff with CoralBox or Jebao.

If you do want EcoTech, one mp40 would be enough - you don't need two.

OP
OP
FreakPrism

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why no Tunze on your list? They are wonderful, last for a long time and are not expensive as MPs yet you don't have to buy patent-stealing Chinese stuff with CoralBox or Jebao.

If you do want EcoTech, one mp40 would be enough - you don't need two.

What Tunze pump would would you recommend?

OP
OP
FreakPrism

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning towards a pair of Coralbox QPS9's for my 90G build based on hours and hours of research... but I'm also considering a single gyre-style pump such as an IceCap 4K. But from what I've learned, those coralbox pumps are pretty much the absolute quietest at their flow rate + price point.

I see you are in Canada. Whereabouts will you buy the QPS9s from?

OP
OP
FreakPrism

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update I ended up buying 2 QPS9+ from AquariumDepot here in Canada. They are the official ReefBreeder supplier in Canada. It's now sitting in the "to install" pile in the basement pending my aquascape design...

WilliamBowman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I looking for new wavemakers and came across the Jebao brand. I’m very much impressed with the wavemaker and at for the price not many out there could compete against! I bought the OW-25 for my long 60 gallons. At first, it was a little noisy, but after a day or so, it settled down and now it's dead silent.

Back