Help me choose my next light !

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really unsure on what to buy next so I thought my fellow reefers could help me.

Infos :
- 48 x 18 x 21 high rimmed tank with center brace
- Equipped with 2 x AI Prime 16 HD
- LPS and softies now but wish to try SPS (goal is having mixed reef with more LPS)

Criterias :
- max budget is $700 USD including mount
- has to be mounted on the tank itself (no hanging off the ceiling or wall)
- has to be mounted on a 1.25 inch rim
- has to be programmable (schedule, ramp up and down)
- has to grow with the tank

What I have considered so far :

1) Adding 2 more AI Prime 16 HD on 2 more rigid mounts for a total of 4 x Prime 16 HD.
These would be symmetrical and in between the center brace.

2) Adding 1 x AI 32 HD in the middle of the two AI Prime 16 HD, all hooked on the HMS 2-arm kit and mounting rail.
These would be symmetrical. I could eventually add 1 more 32 HD if needed.

3) Adding 1 x Kessil a360x Tuna blue on a kessil rigid mount
(If I ever need more light, I would eventually add a second a360x)
With only one, it wouldn’t be symmetrical and one side of the tank would get more light.

Which solution would give me the best coverage and light for the buck ?

What else should I consider ?

Thank you !

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of those options, 2. I'm not in the market for lights so I really have no clue but the versatility will be quite handy as you acquire corals demanding harder hitting light

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busch Beer GIF by Busch

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would add to what you've already got. I think adding a single 32hd would actually fit your needs and wants really well. The 32hd would give plenty of power for SPS while not completely over lighting the tank for LPS.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend considering the Reefbreeders Photon 48 V2.
Thanks, I’ve started looking into it.

I don’t know why, but they are more expensive in canada. 1180$ CAD + taxes. I don’t trust the mounting legs (or appreciate the look) and I don’t know if I can find a solution to that.

It is an interesting option though.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would either add two more primes (more versatile than a single 32, and more wattage overall), or scrap the primes and add a couple of Noopsyche V3s (this would allow you to grow pretty much anything and will be well within your budget).

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are considering only your picks above I would say 2 16hds because you can space them much more conveniently as apprised to 2 16s and a 32 considering your center brace

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really unsure on what to buy next so I thought my fellow reefers could help me.

Infos :
- 48 x 18 x 21 high rimmed tank with center brace
- Equipped with 2 x AI Prime 16 HD
- LPS and softies now but wish to try SPS (goal is having mixed reef with more LPS)

Criterias :
- max budget is $700 USD including mount
- has to be mounted on the tank itself (no hanging off the ceiling or wall)
- has to be mounted on a 1.25 inch rim
- has to be programmable (schedule, ramp up and down)
- has to grow with the tank

What I have considered so far :

1) Adding 2 more AI Prime 16 HD on 2 more rigid mounts for a total of 4 x Prime 16 HD.
These would be symmetrical and in between the center brace.

2) Adding 1 x AI 32 HD in the middle of the two AI Prime 16 HD, all hooked on the HMS 2-arm kit and mounting rail.
These would be symmetrical. I could eventually add 1 more 32 HD if needed.

3) Adding 1 x Kessil a360x Tuna blue on a kessil rigid mount
(If I ever need more light, I would eventually add a second a360x)
With only one, it wouldn’t be symmetrical and one side of the tank would get more light.

Which solution would give me the best coverage and light for the buck ?

What else should I consider ?

Thank you !

In my own biased opinion, I would go with the Kessils. I got a fantastic deal on a pair of them with mounting hardware and wifi dongle to pair them back in November. They were more than your stated budged by about $400, but honestly, I couldn't be happier with them. They are super easy to install and use (I advise the hard 90* brackets over the goosenecks but only because I think they look cleaner. I have the goosenecks on my tank)

The mounting hardware is compatible with both rimmed and rimless tanks. The wifi dongle allows you to control up to 25 separate lights individually. The spectrum is fantastic and will grow basically anything.

Downside is you will need an in-home wifi router to utilize the wifi dongle. There is a dedicated controller, that does not use wifi, but it is a bit more expensive. (Add$50)

All things considered, I personally am sold on Kessil.. As I upgrade lights on my tanks, I will be going with Kessil all the way.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would either add two more primes (more versatile than a single 32, and more wattage overall), or scrap the primes and add a couple of Noopsyche V3s (this would allow you to grow pretty much anything and will be well within your budget).
Weird, I can’t find Noopsyche V3 in Canada. Seems we can’t have them. And buying from the States is not an option; too expensive.

KingHippoTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about you Go t5 hybrid and add a prime so 3 primes total with the versitilty of blue plus and actinic, coral plus bulbs you will like the growth and color my friend.
I currently run 2 Kessel 160 and a 360x with 3 blue plus and actinic/coral plus mix and it's going well I tried to go all LED but after 4 weeks the corals almost demanded the t5 went back up and almost instantly they were happy again.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Keeping your budget in mind, you'd be Very happy with three Orphek OR3-120 bars ( 2 sky blue and one Blue plus)
Other option is two Ai Hydra 26 or 32

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A light over the center brace is goofy. You waste half the light. Asymmetrical is no good either. Just get two more primes

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back