Help me choose the right controller

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, so update on this whole deal. I spoke with @_AV who was a huge help. He was able to tell via the serial number and me sending a few pix that I have a newer version EB832 that was made with better parts and should not suffer the dreaded $1.50 part burnout.

Glad to hear they have fixed that part. I have avoided the EB832 for this very reason

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so update on this whole deal. I spoke with @_AV who was a huge help. He was able to tell via the serial number and me sending a few pix that I have a newer version EB832 that was made with better parts and should not suffer the dreaded $1.50 part burnout.
Cool beans, I'll reach out to him and ask how we can tell ourselves. Presumably the key is that upgrades would begin at serial number 'n' and higher...

BTW, some of my family hails from Brewster. Small world.

Last edited:

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool beans, I'll reach out to him and ask how we can tell ourselves. Presumably the key is that upgrades would begin at serial number 'n' and higher...

BTW, some of my family hails from Brewster. Small world.
I don't know exactly when Neptune started installing meanwell 12v PSUs in EB832s. I can't tell that by the serial number.
However, enough anecdotal evidence gathered so far suggests that the upgrade happened when they decided to do the UL certification for the unit. So far, every EB832 that I've seen that has the UL label on the back also has the meanwell PSU inside.
What I would like to know is why Neptune didn't do a recall when they knew full well that nearly every EB832 fails due to the faulty 12v PSU. Instead, they decided to do a silent upgrade years later to newer models only. Class actions against other tech companies succeeded previously over far less critical issues.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back