Help me configure 2 Ice Cap interface modules, 2 Maxspect Gyres, and Apex

Kenny D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says, I need help with this setup. 2 Ice Cap modules, 2 Maxspect Gyres, and the 2016 Apex. I’ve found the video Carlos from Coralvue did but he’s using an Apex Classic, which looks totally different from what I see in Fusion. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Holidays.

KD

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want the Gyres to alternate between forward and reverse? If so, you also need the special Alternating Gyre Mode cable (which does not ship with the IceCap module). See https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/alte...d-cable-for-gyre-interface-module-icecap.html

Here's how I have mine set up, using Alternating mode:

1. Create a profile for the Gyre speed. Be sure to Enable the Synchronize checkbox:
Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 2.31.50 PM.png

(I created an additional profile for slower speeds at night, named GyreSpdNit)

2. Create a profile for the Gyre direction. Be sure to Enable the Synchronize checkbox:
Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 2.32.04 PM.png

A value of 0 runs the Gyre forward, and 100 runs it in reverse.

3. Configure Varspd1 to use the speed profile:

Fallback ON
If Time 07:00 to 20:59 Then GyreSpdDay
If Time 21:00 to 06:59 Then GyreSpdNit
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If Output vFeedFish = ON Then OFF

4. Configure Varspd2 to use the direction profile:

Fallback ON
If Time 07:00 to 20:59 Then GyreDirDay
If Time 21:00 to 06:59 Then GyreDirNit
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If Output vFeedFish = ON Then OFF

Since you have two Gyres and modules, just add the same code to Varspd3 and Varspd4 if you want both Gyres to run the same programming. If you want them to be different, you can assign different profiles and times to each.

Just set each of the Varspd outputs to AUTO. I also renamed my outputs to GyreSpd1, GyreDir2, GyreSpd3, and GyreDir4 to better identify them.

Let me know if you have any questions.

OP
OP
Kenny D

Kenny D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suncrestreef,

Thank you for the quick response. I have 2 Maxspect FX250s, one placed horizontally on each end of the tank, a Red Sea Max 250. Ideally, I’d like them to alternate back and forth. I’m new to this so I’m not sure about any of it. I believe I need a night mode, then a ramp up in the morning, then pulses back and forth throughout the day, followed by a ramp down, and finally to night mode again.

Because of the size of the tank I don’t think I can run the gyres at 100% without water blasting over the ends of the tank.

Anyway, is what I want to do possible and is it the best way to use the gyres?

Thank you again for your time.

KD

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back