Help me decide how to light my cube

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got the idea to start up my new tank 6 months ago, I was sure that I wanted to use two Radion G5 pros as my main light source over my future 36"x36"x26" predominantly SPS tank. A couple of months later, still in the planning stage, I decided to switch to one ATI Straton with supplemental T5 lights to fill in the spaces. Unfortunately, the Straton has been out of stock since the new year with talks of not being available till mid to late summer. Becauase of that, I've started exploring other options like going with the ATI sunpower as my main fixture and reefbrites for supplementation. With so much back and forth, I have decided to create a list of options with layouts and pros and cons, and anyone with any thoughts are welcome to share(I know this can be a controversial topic). I must admit, I may have had a little too much fun making these drawings.

My tank has been up and running for a little over a month now with fish and a couple of LPS. As far as my current lighting goes, I just have 4x24w T5's and a temporary Kessil A80, which I had on hand, that is in place of where the Straton was meant to go.
IMG_1984.JPG

Layout of my current temporary lighting
reef lights currently.png

Option 1: One ATI Straton LED fixture in the middle with 4x24w T5's around the perimeter.
Pros: I've never tried LEDs before which would be fun to play around with the controllability.
Low power consumption and heat output which is important because the lights will be in a canopy.
Shimmer-important to the wife
Cons: One fixture is $1100.
The straton is a newer light with not a ton of reviews, but those who have it seem to like it.
reef lights w ATI Straton.png

Option 2: If the output or coverage in option 1 wasn't enough I could always add more T5 retrofits for a total of 8.
reef lights w ATI Straton and retrofit.png

Option 3: In place of the Straton, mount a 24" dimmable sunpower 8x24w T5 light fixture, keeping the retrofits for a total of 12x24w T5 bulbs
Pros: T5's are a tried and true form of reef lighting that I have had experience with.
Even light coverage
Cons: More heat output
Less control over spectrum aside from swapping out bulbs
reef lights w ATI fixture.png

Option 4: Should the 12x24w bulbs not be enough, there is room enough for 4 more retrofits making a grand total of 16x24w=384w. I would most definitely have to cut some holes in the top of the canopy to let some air exchange, but I would have amazing coverage.
reef lights w ATI Sunpower and retrofit.png

Option 5: My last idea was to install 3 sets of 24" reefbrites instead of the outer four T5's added in option 4. I've heard that reefbrites are great at supplementing T5's and would maybe give the tank a little shimmer.
reef lights w ATI Sunpower and reefbrites.png

Let me know what you think and why

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back