Help me decide on chaeto or reactor...

AB Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cycled my new waterbox 230 reef lx. Looking to get the nitrates down and I'm either going to go with chaeto or a algae scrubber. Which one would you decide to do and why? How bad are the algae turf scrubbers to clean? Are they nosey?

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cycled my new waterbox 230 reef lx. Looking to get the nitrates down and I'm either going to go with chaeto or a algae scrubber. Which one would you decide to do and why? How bad are the algae turf scrubbers to clean? Are they nosey?
After much thought I am going to try chaeto, I have bought the Neptune Fug light, have a large first chamber in the Bashsea sump, have seen this setup at one of my LFS and their tank looks great, figured less expensive way to see how it works for me.

My friend uses an algae scrubber plumbed off of a return, complete DIY and he has good success with it, since it is gravity feed and uses a couple spot lights it is quiet and cheap, it is out in the open above his sump, so cleaning is really just running something down the screen, hard to tell if it smells funny or if that is from his skimmer.

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run both. Scrubber is pretty silent once you dial down the flow. Sometimes depending on what my nutrients were. I'd turn the scrubber off for a bit. Cheapest way for sure will be adding a macro algae under the fuge light though.

Back