Help me decide

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running a 6bulb sunpower with an orphek v2 and reefbrite xho supplement. Thinking about switching to leds. Found a good deal on xr15s. Thinking about putting an xr15 on the left, xr30 in the middle and xr15 on the left. Tank is 48inchs and I'm running a more sps dominant tank. What would you guys go with? Torn between keeping what I have because I have had great results and switching to leds so I dont have to pay for replacement bulbs.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your point about replacing bulbs, but if isn't broken why fix it. You may have hot spots with LED's and finding that right schedule for your tank may take a little while. I run LED's myself, but that is what I started with on my frag system as well.

Radions are a great light along with others as well. Many coral farms run with Radions. I use Reef Breeders myslef with great success with coloration and growth.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running a 6bulb sunpower with an orphek v2 and reefbrite xho supplement. Thinking about switching to leds. Found a good deal on xr15s. Thinking about putting an xr15 on the left, xr30 in the middle and xr15 on the left. Tank is 48inchs and I'm running a more sps dominant tank. What would you guys go with? Torn between keeping what I have because I have had great results and switching to leds so I dont have to pay for replacement bulbs.

OP
OP
RickG

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your point about replacing bulbs, but if isn't broken why fix it. You may have hot spots with LED's and finding that right schedule for your tank may take a little while. I run LED's myself, but that is what I started with on my frag system as well.

Radions are a great light along with others as well. Many coral farms run with Radions. I use Reef Breeders myslef with great success with coloration and growth.
Yeah man I'm definitely torn between the two. Sucks replacing bulbs but my tank has been growing great. LEDs just look like they color better. I have leds on my frag tanks and my sps have been getting better colors. Also, I see alot of people going towards hybrid to get the t5s so kind of second guessing going just leds

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah man I'm definitely torn between the two. Sucks replacing bulbs but my tank has been growing great. LEDs just look like they color better. I have leds on my frag tanks and my sps have been getting better colors. Also, I see alot of people going towards hybrid to get the t5s so kind of second guessing going just leds
I have the hybrid kits. I have mostly LPS and softies right now. I will use the T5's when that system turns into my SPS system later this month. I love the look of the two lights on together. I run the Blue plus bulbs.

OP
OP
RickG

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea exactly lol! Hybrid has been the go to as of recent. I've thought about it but it would still be replacing 4 bulbs so might as well stay with what I have if I do that

OP
OP
RickG

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I read Orphic V2 in the op, not Orphic OR2. Thought the OR2 would be a good replacement for t5
Cool
Yea sorry that's what I meant the or2s. Great supplement bars for the money. Thinking of switching xho if I stay with the sunpower

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess it also depends on how good the deal is, as in if it is $1300.00 (just making up a number) how many bulbs can you buy for that? Will you even run the leds that long without issues or switching to a new version etc.

corey

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off. His tank IS a hybrid already so suggesting he trade a sunpower with blue LEDs, for an aquatic life with radions is a lateral move and would cost a ton of money for nothing.

Second. I know bulb replacements are irritating. But the cost of radions is so high such that it would be many years before you even reach the break even point. You’d be basically just saving yourself the physical labor of bulb changes every 18 months or so

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a great light setup and things are growing why change?
If you buy one bulb a month at like $20 its less than almost all frags. Ati bulbs last 12+ months easily. The "it costs to much to replace proven T5's" makes no sense to me.
Any pics of your system?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back