Help me figure this out

timnem70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have this cube (below pic) 25 gallon 18x18x18 with CPR aquatic Inc. C.siphon 600gph overflow into an oversized Fuge (ADHI Acrylic 20 gallon), a Vertex Omega 130 oversized for this system as a way of exporting waste/gas exchange. 1 Eheim Jager 100w Heater and finally, a RIO 2100 return pump wide open back into DT. Very successful at mining a good pod population and Lighting is a 16" SB reeflights elite black box (plenty of coverage and power) Hydor Koralia circ. Pump for flow and agitation.( I am fortunate in that the room in which the tank(s) sit, I'm able to open a window and get fresh air nearly anytime.
I also have a 29 gallon with 2 huge GBTA and Frogspawn leathers that has been running as is for 5 years for seeding help.
My parameters are as follows
Mag. Always, and on both reef tanks, have been above 1500. It never markedly decreases. I have used different salts and am well aware that Fritzs RPM salt that I originally used has substantially more Magnesium than most so I haven't used it for 8 months. So.... I have recently stuck to IO or Just regular Kent Reef Salt. (Not pro). It still stays above 1500. Is there a reason other than salt mix? Does the RODI water used here used contain magnesium? I buy all my Water from one or two of the most reputable LFS in Denver. I am just asking the great people on here because I truly don't know. I also know through research amd this forum that elevated levels of that element have shown neither benefits or apparent damage it may cause so I am not that concerned. I just love sceince and don't know the correlation, only the fact that magnesium is the most abundant element in a reef and doesn't seem to bother anyone. I have read to just let it go down naturally, over time and ot still stays high.(the only reason I brought up the 5 yr. Old tank was for comparrison and also let you know I know how to keep a reef tank)
My Alk. Has always stayed steady, never varying more than + or - 5ppm over the 9 months the cube has existed and never more than +/- 1 in any 24 hours. So, 7.9 to 8.5.
Cal has also always been elevated 450-500 but with right now, with it containing only a couple of LPS understand why calcium isn't fluctuating. I have never needed to dose, other than the occasional Buffer to raise Alk slightly, I just do 5 gallon water changes every week or two. I feed pretty well as there are only 3 fish right now.
Corals are. A couple Acan Lords, various Zoa colonies, a beautiful Duncan (who hosts two mini pink skunk clownfish) and has grown three new heads in a 4 month period and finally an elegance coral. I have attached pics of the 25 cube, obviously with the whites turned up for decent camera phone exposure. And the final shot is of the 5 year old 29 as contrast in growth. Everyone should know by now, most things grow and, if you are fortunate enough to not have crashes or any ill effects (other than not being able to really add anything else because of the size it gets but when leather corals get as large as these, in a tank this size and only in my own experience, they release something that inhibits any "weaker" or "less hardy" varities of corals) they can and will grow large and take over.
The two anemones and the once small clownfish I put in the reef have become huge.
All are doing well as you can see but I just want to better understand why that Mag. and Calcium stays so elevated?
BTW I test with a refractometer, Red Sea Pro Reef test kit or Salifert style (have both) and although it has been mentioned on this forum that Red Sea historically tests a little higher than the Salifert in particular, my results were not that inconsistent as to think or hypothesize that in being a factor. Plus, like I said, my 5 year old tank and the newish 25 gallon cube have essentailly the same numbers.
I really love R2R and as a resource for those seeking sound advice. After keeping reefs for many years, being stable later in life has afforded me the time to hone my craft and responsibility I believe we all have, to try our best to keep healthy animals in our reefs. Thanks for any help.
Happy reefing compadres.
54ceaaa8853c7a86c1ef967dfbcec3db.jpg
f3c848795611e0b0c9f76af4a01825f5.jpg
2fb631277205c0dc06c0665d50a4f6fb.jpg
6ea4745295edccc6c32062bc720624ac.jpg
6127bc7d4a1e67b67e8e86b6567cad2b.jpg
85ecb340fb325d353ca6e8c68f8fd8e9.jpg
32c7b0eff7fb063f25ec1f0200c74372.jpg
70974edcd63c388ac943a01bd54a89cc.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad @Randy Holmes-Farley
My guess would be that there aren't a whole lot of sps corals in the tank to rapidly consume the calcium. Lps use it, but not nearly as say an entrusting montipora or an acropora. That's my Best guess. I may be wrong, but well see if anyone else might have more insight.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which buffer are you using? Some of them, such as Seachem's Marine Buffer, can contain calcium and magnesium.

OP
OP
timnem70

timnem70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Britewell Aquatics Reef AB. Just the Alk. Buffer.
Just can't get how the Mag never goes down.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back