Help me figure this out.

Andrey Grodno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Help me figure this out. There are a lot of topics about breeding tigers here. There are so many varieties of them. Some live on the aquarium glass. Others swim in the water. Or maybe I'm wrong and they can all crawl and swim. How to distinguish them from each other? Where to read about it? Help me understand.

Katherine Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, Tiger pods are the biggest of the copepod family? I usually buy bottles through Reef Nutrition every 6 months or so and feel confident that they just reproduce in my tank on their own. If youre trying to aquaculture and farm tiger pods, I think I've seen some good threads on it! Youd have to restrict your farm to just a tiger pod population and not add others.

OP
OP
Andrey Grodno

Andrey Grodno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question was different. Is that a tigger in the picture? But it does not swim. it always crawls on the glass. I have a lot of them. But they don't swim. And as coral food, they're useless. But I've had similar ones, but floating. Or maybe I'm wrong and they all float in the water column.

Attachments

• 2022-12-19-162033.jpg
    2022-12-19-162033.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 22

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I’m wrong, but you are asking if these copepods are Tigger pods (Tigriopus genus, like Tigriopus californicus) or a different kind of copepod, yes? In other words, you want to know if these pods are the same species as the pods you had before, yes?

For everyone else, I think this post comes across as a bit confusing because the OP’s translation software they use to communicate in English is struggling a bit with the questions they’re asking. I’ve interpreted their post to mean that they have cultured tigger (Tigriopus) pods before and the pods would swim in the water column, so they were useful as a food in the tank. These pods look similar to the pods the OP cultured before, but they crawl on the glass rather than swimming. So, the OP is wondering if these are the same species of pods or not, and they are wondering where they can read up on ID’ing different pod species to find out for sure. Any ideas on either of those points?

OP
OP
Andrey Grodno

Andrey Grodno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I’m wrong, but you are asking if these copepods are Tigger pods (Tigriopus genus, like Tigriopus californicus) or a different kind of copepod, yes? In other words, you want to know if these pods are the same species as the pods you had before, yes?

For everyone else, I think this post comes across as a bit confusing because the OP’s translation software they use to communicate in English is struggling a bit with the questions they’re asking. I’ve interpreted their post to mean that they have cultured tigger (Tigriopus) pods before and the pods would swim in the water column, so they were useful as a food in the tank. These pods look similar to the pods the OP cultured before, but they crawl on the glass rather than swimming. So, the OP is wondering if these are the same species of pods or not, and they are wondering where they can read up on ID’ing different pod species to find out for sure. Any ideas on either of those points?
Yes, I am wondering if these are the same copepods. Will they float in the water or crawl on the aquarium glass.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am wondering if these are the same copepods. Will they float in the water or crawl on the aquarium glass.
It looks like they might be Tigriopus copepods, but I'm not very good with identifying copepods.

I'm not sure on the swimming or crawling, but if they are from the same genus, then this link may help with figuring out which species you have. They recommend having at least one female copepod specimen and one male copepod specimen to help with keying out what species you have.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back