Help me fill this refugium/timing question

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.
Im finally ready to get this refugium thing started.

My tank: 48 gal Aquatop Recife AIO w/ 14 gallon sump
I’ve had the tank going since nov 2019 but it changed from a 28 gal to this tank this summer.
Inhabits: 2 clown fish, 1 cleaner shrimp, various hermits and snails

some beginning concerns I have:
I have a very low bioload and I will be increasing it in 4-6 weeks. I have a soft coral and macro algae dominant tank. I’m already barely getting enough nutrients in the water.
The reason I would like a refugium is for
1. I’ve always wanted one and 2. Pods for my fish (and future fish) to eat.

I’m concerned about timing. Do I get the fish and then start the refugium? Or the other way around.

the pump to move the refugium area’s water around is sitting in the same chamber as the pump that carries water back to the DT. Neither have sponge intakes, will the pods be able to make it out of that area?

what is needed in a refugium? I have light and water flow. do I need the rocks or substrate?

if I try to grow the jars of green (pods?) in the last compartment on the right ( dry compartment, not sure what it’s for) would they get enough light? This light is a freshwater lamp, will that be ok for macro algae?

thanks!! Any ideas or fun ways to go about this would be much appreciated!
35A4B445-6790-4B33-A025-5A204EBBF120.jpeg

5966F57C-6D8D-49BD-B58B-DCE2CB8F434C.jpeg

41731CCD-7F7E-4A19-99CE-FF69ADAEC6D3.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Afkomjorgen

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EB6FB60C-4E50-4690-B373-3F9C0839D1D6.jpeg

The intake for the skimmer is in the first chamber. Overflows into the second chamber. ( flow of water noted in white)

There is an opening at the bottom of chamber 1-2 that I think I need to obstruct the flow of plant matter through ( water should probably still go through…) ( noted in blue)

My plan at this time is to find some rock rubble for the floor of the refugium chamber. I feel like perhaps I’m going to have to add sediment to hold the plants in but I’m concerned about the gap under chamber 1&2 allowing substrate particles to jam the skimmer/power head. But I’m also concerned about fully obstructing the hole since I’m not sure the skimmer pushes water fast enough to be the sole flow of water from chamber 1-2. Any recommendations?

OP
OP
Afkomjorgen

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

Also I realized the sump intakes and has 2 sponge outtakes in chamber 1.
thinking egg crate with some finer fabric/netting wrapped over it for the space underneath. Not sure how to keep the small cyclopods from being sucked back that direction or if that’s even a concern with the direction of flow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back