Help me fix my flow.

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 150G display. And i cant get the flow right. I added a toadstool to my rocks, and noticed the polypls aint moving which is very surprising.

My wave maker placement.

My toadstool polyps either too short to move and they are stiff. Or dead flow spot.

Check the video for it

U can also see in the video how the toadstool is placed. Im running my wave makers at 50% one is patent. And in sync. Reef crest mode both of them. Any advice here. For the wave maker placement or modes?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the wave makers aligned with one another ? If so this could have some kind of cancelling effect. Like the flow is bouncing back towards the right and left side glass.

You can try having one higher than the other one, and one more to the front a bit. See what happens.

Have you tried running them at a higher speed ? What happens ?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the wave makers aligned with one another ? If so this could have some kind of cancelling effect. Like the flow is bouncing back towards the right and left side glass.

You can try having one higher than the other one, and one more to the front a bit. See what happens.

Have you tried running them at a higher speed ? What happens ?
This is what im trying to achieve like the brs video i screenshotted it. Ill try to up the speed. But i thought as mo40s 50% is plenty for reef crest not sure

Attachments

• IMG_5493.jpeg
    IMG_5493.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 36

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those 2 MP40s?
Tank seem long to me, you might need to add at least one or even 2 powerheads.
You can increase power until your sand starts to blow around and then decrease by few percent. Your positioning for 2 powerheads is perfect though.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those 2 MP40s?
Tank seem long to me, you might need to add at least one or even 2 powerheads.
What program and intensity are you running them at?
Yes those are 2 mp40s brother. And i mentioned the intensity and modes in my description they are at 50% reef crest, parent mode in sync. Thank you.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes those are 2 mp40s brother. And i mentioned the intensity and modes in my description they are at 50% reef crest, parent mode in sync. Thank you.
If your powerheads are setup like the pictures you posted, then I would say you need to crank them up, or add more if they are not powerful enough.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clicked post button, before I read your second post, now I edited it.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your powerheads are setup like the pictures you posted, then I would say you need to crank them up, or add more if they are not powerful enough.
I will try taking them above 50%

AstroMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a 6ft tank? MP40s will probably not cut it I'm afraid. We have a peninsula 6ft with 2 MP40s both at the same end, same height. I can see where the flow dies when they are the only flow that is on (we have a return the same end which helps). and it is about half way maybe a little further. I run mine at between 40%-60% on a selection of modes. I cannot really run higher as it will blast everything down at that end of the tank if I do (including some softies).

I was advised the MP40's would generate enough flow to reach the far end of the tank but should have gone for 2xMP60... Still waiting to upgrade but in the meantime a Maxspect xf-350 gyre is an awesome addition to consider - provides plenty of flow the length of the whole tank - until it needs cleaning that is, which is about after 6-8 weeks, the flow starts to drop off. We run ours horizontal just under the water line and it generates a nice current along the top and then back along the bottom. You can get a double pack which can both be controlled by one controller which is a decent option if you are going to go for it. You can run them vertically or horizontally.

Maybe you were able to get some results with your MP40's by cranking them up to perhaps 80% but the flow near the powerhead will be pretty strong. You can check if the polyps will move by gently squeezing a small pipette near them to convince yourself they will actually move! Good luck!

AstroMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I think you may need to check is the sync power - I think you need to set it to 100% for the slaved unit - when set to 50% it will run at 50% of the parent. If you set it to 100% it should mirror the parent's setting exactly. You can check this by setting the parent to a fixed speed and looking at the RPM for both units on the Mobius app.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back