Help me get rid of this algae please

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i havent seen this algae before but it is growing out inbetween my little colony of PZ paralyzers and I would like to get rid of it!

it doesnt seem to be messing with any growth. yet....

here is a picture. any idea what it is? how to get rid of it? does dipping work?
78394326-6219-4B49-B4F8-0B5CFCFD1BC7-343-000000464DEF1E28_zpsf949cd6d.jpg

OP
OP
Fatmike92

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis.. I would assume its on more than that one plug?
I absolutely hate that stuff. The one and only way I have found to get rid of it is Kent Tech M magnesium. There was a local guy that had it that I helped get rid if it and Kent Tech M magnesium was the only thing that worked. After using it, the algae was gone within 10 days, but again only Kent Tech M. I don't think it's the magnesium in Tech M but more of the elements that are in it.

Take a syringe and squirt the tech M on the algae. Raise your magnesium to about 1600-1700 over a couple says and leave it there until the algae is gone and then let it drop back down to its normal levels.
Start on it right away, bryopsis can take over quickly!

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its only on that plug and has not spread take it out immediately!!! Again, bryopsis grows like wild fire and breaks off to seed in other places of your reef.

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely hate that stuff. The one and only way I have found to get rid of it is Kent Tech M magnesium. There was a local guy that had it that I helped get rid if it and Kent Tech M magnesium was the only thing that worked. After using it, the algae was gone within 10 days, but again only Kent Tech M. I don't think it's the magnesium in Tech M but more of the elements that are in it.

Take a syringe and squirt the tech M on the algae. Raise your magnesium to about 1600-1700 over a couple says and leave it there until the algae is gone and then let it drop back down to its normal levels.

I've had it and this post is accurate eccept u need to keet the mag levels high for about a month. Fish snd coral will be just fine. And yes your snails will be in a bad way so get as many as u can out. The good news Is that with tech m it is pretty easy to get rid of.

Last edited:

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed .. Great advice .
U can also try a h202 mixed dip .
I didn't take heed and before u know it . Bam ..the stuff was all over the place.

OP
OP
Fatmike92

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If its only on that plug and has not spread take it out immediately!!! Again, bryopsis grows like wild fire and breaks off to seed in other places of your reef.

Thanks Gary! ill mess with it right away when I get home from work. I am pretty positive I have not seen it anywhere else in the tank but Ill look it over real well today and see if I can find any more.

Snails would die if mag. is over 1600.

good thing I just put about 60 dwarf cerith snails in there.... lol

I've had it and this post is accurate eccept u need to keet the mag levels high for about a month. Fish snd coral will be just fine. And yes your snails will be in a bad way so get as many as u can out. The good news Is that with tech m it is pretty easy to get rid of.

ok ill make sure to keep it up there for awhile.

thanks for all the info! the war has begun!

Tenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, peroxide will kill all hair algae. Be sure all zoas closed tight before performing dip. Good luck

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good stuff here!!

OP
OP
Fatmike92

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. There isn't a ton of it but it is there on the bottom half of the tank none on the top.

But for now I cut down on the hours the light runs and I'm going to do some large water changes.

Now to get some kent stuff!

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tech m will work and also the hydrogen peroxide. If its just on the plug you can dip it in a peroxide solution. I have dipped in just peroxide with no ill effects. Also an old tooth brush to scrub the plug is pretty helpful too. If it is on the rocks you can dose your tank with peroxide as well. 1 ml per 10 gallons of water. It seems to start to kill the algae and once it starts dying it seems the snails and hermits are more likely to eat it. Glad you caught it early that stuff can really take over. Good luck man

OP
OP
Fatmike92

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could someone post up what kind of peroxide solution you can use? im interested in that. hopefully I can find some tech M locally the thing that stinks is my lfs is not open on monday or tuesday!

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used it in the past it was the normal peroxide you get at CVS or other pharmacy. It's 3% hydrogen peroxide. For a dip you can do a very light concentration at first around 25% peroxide to 75% tank water and step it up from there. Like I said I have done dips in just peroxide with no ill effects. While dipping try to scrub the plug with a toothbrush of something similar to get off as much as you can

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of mine by dosing 1ml h2o2 per 10 gal....just the basic 3% volume from the drug store. Took about a week to ten days before it was all gone. The first week I dosed every day...than dropped to every other day. I now dose it twice a week at 2ml per 10 gal. Tank looks great too :angel:

OP
OP
Fatmike92

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used it in the past it was the normal peroxide you get at CVS or other pharmacy. It's 3% hydrogen peroxide. For a dip you can do a very light concentration at first around 25% peroxide to 75% tank water and step it up from there. Like I said I have done dips in just peroxide with no ill effects. While dipping try to scrub the plug with a toothbrush of something similar to get off as much as you can

I got rid of mine by dosing 1ml h2o2 per 10 gal....just the basic 3% volume from the drug store. Took about a week to ten days before it was all gone. The first week I dosed every day...than dropped to every other day. I now dose it twice a week at 2ml per 10 gal. Tank looks great too :angel:

alright guys thanks!! im going to try out this 1 ml per 10 gallons. im gonna call it about 50 gallons with the rock and everything

so ill do 5 ml every day for a week or until I see some progress and then I will back off. is there anything I should watch out for that could be caused from the H2O2 or the peroxide?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very skeptical of using hydrogen peroxide. So at first I took a zoa colony that was ate up with it and dipped it 50/50. Not only did it kill the bryopsis, but that colony has NEVER looked so good as it does now. Thanks to Logzor at Cincyreef for the suggestion.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 104 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 110 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.3%
Back