Help me ID whats wrong

drosie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this on my blue tang. I did not quarantine as I bought this entire system used including the livestock. They were disease-free when I got them a week ago and I have added no outside life to the tank. I imagine it must’ve been dormant in the tank if it is a disease. Blue tang does appear to be swimming towards the powerhead frequently....

168F7186-63C6-44A6-936F-5CBDE20A112E.jpeg 56ECBD4A-A537-4954-8A2B-CE2B6D510837.jpeg E38C8CBB-3CB4-4033-BC16-598A3BACA646.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White light pics and/or a short video will help. After posting them try and follow this example for the rest of the information needed

OP
OP
D

drosie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White light pics and/or a short video will help. After posting them try and follow this example for the rest of the information needed

Just added white light pics I didn’t realize how awful they were originally

OP
OP
D

drosie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are
Salinity 36PPT
Temp 81
PH 8.1
Nitrates 10ppm
Ammonia was 1ppm
Other tests on order, I only have the basic test now and what the apex can monitor.

Tank is 92g Reef, soft corals and nems when purchased. Mix of snails, crabs, clams and starfish. None appear to be in distress. The other fiah inhabitants include 2 lightning maroons that appear healthy and spot free. I am trying to get a pic of them but they are deep inside the anemone.

OP
OP
D

drosie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are
Salinity 36PPT
Temp 81
PH 8.1
Nitrates 10ppm
Ammonia was 1ppm
Other tests on order, I only have the basic test now and what the apex can monitor.

Tank is 92g Reef, soft corals and nems when purchased. Mix of snails, crabs, clams and starfish. None appear to be in distress. The other fiah inhabitants include 2 lightning maroons that appear healthy and spot free. I am trying to get a pic of them but they are deep inside the anemone.
Also noted when I switched the lights to White the fish freaked out and started darting around the tank like it was irritating to it

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this on my blue tang. I did not quarantine as I bought this entire system used including the livestock. They were disease-free when I got them a week ago and I have added no outside life to the tank. I imagine it must’ve been dormant in the tank if it is a disease. Blue tang does appear to be swimming towards the powerhead frequently....

168F7186-63C6-44A6-936F-5CBDE20A112E.jpeg 56ECBD4A-A537-4954-8A2B-CE2B6D510837.jpeg E38C8CBB-3CB4-4033-BC16-598A3BACA646.jpeg
In the middle picture, the white spots *seem* to be of different sizes and some are elongated. That could be a picture artifact from fish motion, but if not, that isn't ich.

It is pretty common for any fish move. especially when combined with moving a tank, to bring out latent diseases due to the stress imposed on the fish.

What other fish are in the tank?
Do they show any symptoms?
Is the blue tang still feeding?
Does it seem to be breathing fast/heavy?

Jay

OP
OP
D

drosie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the middle picture, the white spots *seem* to be of different sizes and some are elongated. That could be a picture artifact from fish motion, but if not, that isn't ich.

It is pretty common for any fish move. especially when combined with moving a tank, to bring out latent diseases due to the stress imposed on the fish.

What other fish are in the tank?
Do they show any symptoms?
Is the blue tang still feeding?
Does it seem to be breathing fast/heavy?

Jay
The only other two fish in the tank are two lightning clowns. They are hidden in their Nem and do not appear to be showing disease. The blue tang fed this morning I just attempted to re-feed it and it is eating. Inverts appear in no distress as well. He does appear to be breathing faster than what I would consider normal.

Attachments

• IMG_5366.MOV
    14.6 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other two fish in the tank are two lightning clowns. They are hidden in their Nem and do not appear to be showing disease. The blue tang fed this morning I just attempted to re-feed it and it is eating. Inverts appear in no distress as well. He does appear to be breathing faster than what I would consider normal.

Blue tank lights are going to be the death of me (grin). I'm so used to only white lights, that I just cannot see any details under blues. I don't see any overtly problematic issues here, I would just wait and see how things progress. Stay vigilant though - things can go south in an instant!

Jay

OP
OP
D

drosie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue tank lights are going to be the death of me (grin). I'm so used to only white lights, that I just cannot see any details under blues. I don't see any overtly problematic issues here, I would just wait and see how things progress. Stay vigilant though - things can go south in an instant!

Jay
Yeah for whatever reason I can’t get him to feed under the white lights. He happily flew to the top when I switch them back to blue. Here is a video under white

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
hard to see based on quality of pics. i too despise Blue lights when it comes to assessment of any issue.
I too as does Jay have curiosities:
Age of Tank?
Type of test kits used
type of water youre using ( Tap from faucet or RODI ) ?
Did you acclimate fish when tank was set back up ?

OP
OP
D

drosie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah for whatever reason I can’t get him to feed under the white lights. He happily flew to the top when I switch them back to blue. Here is a video under white
hard to see based on quality of pics. i too despise Blue lights when it comes to assessment of any issue.
I too as does Jay have curiosities:
Age of Tank?
Type of test kits used
type of water youre using ( Tap from faucet or RODI ) ?
Did you acclimate fish when tank was set back up ?
Relocated a setup that was approx 5yrs old
Api, Apex probes, manual refractometer as well
Rodi
Transported as much original water as possible, slow acclimation to additional water needed due to volume

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ammonia a little high as is salinity. Nitrate also up, but not too high for fish. Do add liquid bacteria at rate of 1.5ml per 10 gallons for two weeks and I want to say monitor levels but API kits are notorious for false readings and your levels may be higher than you are seeing.

OP
OP
D

drosie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know about the API kits. I was looking at getting Hanna Checkers and possible a trident down the line. As far as the bacteria I have added 1 bottle already should I add more? Also I will try a water change, after reading up my biggest fear is that the tang may have Velvet.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 44.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back