Help me identify the creature.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure that’s a limpet
Not so sure that’s a limpet. I do remember this one type of harmless hitchhiker snail that was immobile and had a long black proboscis, but I just cannot remember the name. @Isopod80 knew about it, but has not been on Reef2Reef in months :(.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Andrey Grodno
@Sharkbait19
Aha! I found it!
Hipponix sp. (hoof snail) These snails are unique in the fact that they are sessile. Once attached to a surface they never move. They just feed on what is in reach with their proboscis. They're completely harmless. They're basically the snail version of a barnacle. Not an overly common hitchiker but when they are found, it's usually attached to the shell of a larger snail like yours.
1634177090775.png

@Isopod80 never disappoints!

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another unknown creature. It sits on the shell of a snail. photographed through a microscope, so the video quality is poor.

Looks like a Vermetid snail, another sessile snail that resembles a tube worm. They are generally seen as pests as they can rapidly multiply and produce mucus nets that can irritate coral. An individual Vermetid snail can be killed by crushing its base (with tweezers?).
1643861505060.jpeg

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's definitely a vermetid. Kill it with fire. They are annoying although the panic about them is overblown IMO since they seem to end up in everyone's tanks eventually anyways.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back