Help me identify this Angel

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this beauty juvenile Angel from my LFS a few weeks back and neglected to get the species details from them. Anyone know?

full

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you nailed it with “beautiful.”

Someone will have a better answer for sure, nice lfs score! :)

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue angel going by the Central stripe. Queens have a stripe that is more curved while blues are pretty straight (that's assuming it's not a teeny tiny one where it's harder to tell).

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell from the pic, but blues usually have yellow on the ends of the dorsal and anal fins.

I think you can see a hint of it starting to come on the anal fin. It should develop more as the fish grows and continue onto the dorsal.

OP
OP
rsumner

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best I can tell from the pic I lean toward Juvenile Blue but agree with Labridaedicted on possible Juvenile Queen. What size tank do you have rsumner?

Yeah, it's a crappy pic, but with the hints you all have provided, I think it's a Juvenile Queen as it looks almost exactly like this pic on LiveAquaria. I did notice it nipping at one of my SPS to where most of it's polyps are nearly gone now :-(. I'll get a better pic of it when I get home from work tonight and post an update. I realize now that I'll likely need to find a new home for this one as it gets older as I've only got a 108 gallon tank. Either that, or I'll have to upgrade ;-)

You happen to live in Connecticut? I think the LFS I work at sold this to you!

:). No, I live in Austin. I got it from River City Aquatics.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.............I realize now that I'll likely need to find a new home for this one as it gets older as I've only got a 108 gallon tank. Either that, or I'll have to upgrade ;-)

I hear that my friend. I kept upsizing tanks until I got to a 300g for one fish. It outgrew it and I donated it to a local aquarium. Ah, the things we do for our water pets. :)

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's a crappy pic, but with the hints you all have provided, I think it's a Juvenile Queen as it looks almost exactly like this pic on LiveAquaria.

That link is to a blue angel:p admittedly they are nigh on inseparable so it makes little difference.

OP
OP
rsumner

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the lag, folks, but I finally got around to creating a video of this little guy. He's fairly naughty and has nipped all of the polyps off one of my healthy SPS's. Is it likely that it will recover and regrow polyps or should I just get it out of the tank?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back