Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrates- 10
Ph 7.0
Alk 200 ppm
Its a new tank, but the live rocks isnt, anyway i just bought them last week, they open up fine, untill i dose kents ammonia detox (for chlorine, i use rodi but i washed my hands with tap water) the next 2 days they start melting except the mushroom and my super hardy acan ( for real it looks like nothing is happening around it ). Sorry for punctuation mistakes im not good at english.

OP
OP
Aiptaisia anemone

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrates- 10
Ph 7.0
Alk 200 ppm
Its a new tank, but the live rocks isnt, anyway i just bought them last week, they open up fine, untill i dose kents ammonia detox (for chlorine, i use rodi but i washed my hands with tap water) the next 2 days they start melting except the mushroom and my super hardy acan ( for real it looks like nothing is happening around it ). Sorry for punctuation mistakes im not good at english.
Even the aiptaisia melted.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a really high Alk number for softies.
I would have expected 130-140ppm unless this was a SPS dominant.

is there some reason you run over 11 dkh?

OP
OP
Aiptaisia anemone

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a really high Alk number for softies.
I would have expected 130-140ppm unless this was a SPS dominant.

is there some reason you run over 11 dkh?
No this was supposed to be soft coral dominated, i just have 1 acan cuz its pretty lol, and i dont dose so i dont normally have controll over my dkh? Like i said its a brandnew set up with soft corals, i put the corals day one, i use live rock from old system, i think its because of my reef crystals? Its old, well its been a year since i used it and its hard to mixed it very well now.

OP
OP
Aiptaisia anemone

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a big water change is in order. Don't stress over little things like tap water on your hands. Dosing a bunch of chemicals is much more harmful than that....
But its just prime, do you think they starve from oxygen? Ive read that over dosing prime or any water conditioner lower dissolve oxygen, why is my ph low when my alk is high, could it be from carbon dioxide? Im suspecting my reef salt but im just not sure, do they lose essential minerals as they age?

OP
OP
Aiptaisia anemone

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But its just prime, do you think they starve from oxygen? Ive read that over dosing prime or any water conditioner lower dissolve oxygen, why is my ph low when my alk is high, could it be from carbon dioxide? Im suspecting my reef salt but im just not sure, do they lose essential minerals as they age?
Its just so sudden, theyre supposed to be hardy, the corals that melted are blue clove polyps, kenya tree, my curlique anemone that i owned since i started my the hobbt, and the palythoa grandis is on its verge of melting aswell, the zoas however are all closed but i think theyre dying too.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your PH is wayyyy to low. At that level even your LPS will slowly suffer. Calcium carbonate (coral bones) will start to dissolve at those levels.

As a comparison - calcium reactors have ph of 6.8. Thats something people use to actively melt coral bones to dose calcium back into the tank.

Ur tank is basically a slow calcium reactor if that PH is correct.

OP
OP
Aiptaisia anemone

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your PH is wayyyy to low. At that level even your LPS will slowly suffer. Calcium carbonate (coral bones) will start to dissolve at those levels.

As a comparison - calcium reactors have ph of 6.8. Thats something people use to actively melt coral bones to dose calcium back into the tank.

Ur tank is basically a slow calcium reactor if that PH is correct.
Will water change fix it?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will water change fix it?
Check the new salt water s ph before you put in to make sure its not a bad saltmix causing the low ph

If good saltmix then do a large wc

High co2 is a big culprit of low PH so maybe you dosed too much bacteria. How much air exchange do you have in your system? Adding a airstone will help at least equalize the tanks co2 with the rooms co2. At that high Alk with that low ph it should be higher co2 in your tank than in your room (if room has that much co2 you probably would feel light headed)

If better air exchange does help then your room probably has high CO2 as well, open up some windows

Or, install co2 scrubber

If you are dosing for alk. Change from using sodium bicarbonate (read the ingredient list of the additive) to using sodium carbonate (or called soda ash)

OP
OP
Aiptaisia anemone

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the new salt water s ph before you put in to make sure its not a bad saltmix causing the low ph

High co2 is a big culprit of low PH so maybe you dosed too much bacteria. How much air exchange do you have in your system? Adding a airstone will help at least equalize the tanks co2 with the rooms co2. At that high Alk with that low ph it should be higher co2 in your tank than in your room (if room has that much co2 you probably would feel light headed)

If better air exchange does help then your room probably has high CO2 as well, open up some windows

Or, install co2 scrubber

If you are dosing for alk. Change from using sodium bicarbonate (read the ingredient list of the additive) to using sodium carbonate (or called soda ash)
Well my tank is pretty sealed to prevent evap so fast, its a 4 gallon bowl with aerator, but it has very minimal opening, ill just change to to a normal aquarium, but yeah ill test my saltmixed first before restarting my pico, thank you guys.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my tank is pretty sealed to prevent evap so fast, its a 4 gallon bowl with aerator, but it has very minimal opening, ill just change to to a normal aquarium, but yeah ill test my saltmixed first before restarting my pico, thank you guys.
That sounds cool, got any pictures of the bowl?

OP
OP
Aiptaisia anemone

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Or, install co2 scrubber

I checked it, the new batch of saltwater was perfect, i guess it is the tank, it didnt get enough gas exchange, sigh.. i put alot of work removing scratches on that tank, welp time to change it to freshwater.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked it, the new batch of saltwater was perfect, i guess it is the tank, it didnt get enough gas exchange, sigh.. i put alot of work removing scratches on that tank, welp time to change it to freshwater.
Mr pico @brandon429 might have something to say about your gas exchange issues

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No this was supposed to be soft coral dominated, i just have 1 acan cuz its pretty lol, and i dont dose so i dont normally have controll over my dkh? Like i said its a brandnew set up with soft corals, i put the corals day one, i use live rock from old system, i think its because of my reef crystals? Its old, well its been a year since i used it and its hard to mixed it very well now.
My experience is that even soft corals don’t do well in new and unstable waters. It’s hard to keep even Xenia in the initial stages.

I’d let that tank mature for a couple of months and maintain parameters with as little flux as possible, then add another and see what happens.

Old salt, sure, a lot of things can be “absorbed”, hard to tell.

I would replace with IO and let her settle.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back