Help me narrow down my 150g stocking list?

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So I inherited a Biocube a few months ago. It's in pretty bad shape so I've been setting up a 150g that should be ready to go pretty soon. I'm planning on doing a "fish first" mixed reef, meaning that I want to try some "Reef safe with Caution" fish. For example, I really love angels. I would keep one that grazed now and then or only ate certain species, but if I got one that decimated all corals I'd probably donate it to the local reef club.

Now that I have some space to work with, I'm having trouble coming up with a stocking list.

Fish I currently have in the Biocube:
Black Ice Ocellaris Clownfish pair
Watchman Goby

Fish I 100% want:
Zebra Moray Eel (picked this species over a snowflake because I can live without shrimp and he's less likely to eat my fish)

Fish I really like:
Green Mandarin Dragonet (I've already started a pod farm)
Regal Angel

Other fish I'm considering:
Red Scooter Dragonet
Some mix of wrasses
Flame Angel
Coral Beauty Angel
Yellow Tang or Purple Tang
Convict Tang
Foxface
Powder Blue Tang
Royal Gramma or Blackcap basslet
Blue throat triggerfish?
Heniochus or Copperband butterflyfish
Harlequin tusk fish (my SO loves these but I'm concerned about aggression)
Helfrichi Firefish
Maybe some Anthias?

I realize that my list is too long; help me eliminate some fish from the running? Also open to suggestions of fish not on this list. Thank you :D

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the 150g a standard 5' x 2' 2'? Just because that will help us determine if certain tangs and fish on your list will fit.

You will have a lot more success with the "on the fringe fish" if you add them after the corals. On your list for example the dwarf angels. Also I think you may want to have only one dwarf angel per tank but not 100% sure about that.

I am not an expert with eels but I think the zebra moray still may go after smaller fish such as the firefish and dragonets potentially. Although I am not too sure about that I don't have experience with that eel myself.

Harlequin tuskfish tend to be gentle giants :), they will heavily consume shrimp though. But I don't think you are going to keep any shrimp. Some others may have had worse experiences with tuskfush though...

If your tank is 5 feet I don't think a Powder Blue Tang will work also they can be bullies.

I love Blue Throat Triggers though! Not sure about a 5 foot tank but they could definitly work!

You should take a look at Yellow Pyramid Butterflies or Zoster Butterflies the only reef safe butterflyfish. (Unless you have Xenia)

Also Genicanthus angelfish are the only true reef safe angelfish, any of the ones in that genus would be awesome!

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I am looking at a very similar mix of fish for my 180 gallon! Following! I’ll be interested in seeing the final stocking list.

OP
OP
Mkvc

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's basically a standard 150g at 62” x 25" x 25''. I think I can only really consider smaller tangs. Powder blue is off the list, got it.

Thanks for the advice on the "fringe" fish! Will definitely keep that in mind. :)

Zebras are pebble toothed and eat mostly crustaceans in the wild so I think they're relatively fish-safe. Maybe a golden dwarf or chainlink would be better. Will seek some feedback in the predator forums when I'm closer to buying one. I just really like derpy water snakes.

Glad to hear the tuskfish might work out! I’ve heard stories of them eating tank mates but I’m not sure how common that is.

Will check out those butterflies and angels.

Really appreciate your input! Still got a lot of planning to do.

OP
OP
Mkvc

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in hearing how your 180g turns out, too!

I'm not home right now but I'll take a picture of the Biocube after work.

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's basically a standard 150g at 62” x 25" x 25''. I think I can only really consider smaller tangs. Powder blue is off the list, got it.

Thanks for the advice on the "fringe" fish! Will definitely keep that in mind. :)

Zebras are pebble toothed and eat mostly crustaceans in the wild so I think they're relatively fish-safe. Maybe a golden dwarf or chainlink would be better. Will seek some feedback in the predator forums when I'm closer to buying one. I just really like derpy water snakes.

Glad to hear the tuskfish might work out! I’ve heard stories of them eating tank mates but I’m not sure how common that is.

Will check out those butterflies and angels.

Really appreciate your input! Still got a lot of planning to do.

Those specs I believe are actually around 167 gal! Unless the glass is 1" thick.

I love eels too just love the way they move and there silly faces :)

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch how many male dragonets you have, they may fight, but multiple females are ok as long as they have room and food

OP
OP
Mkvc

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay, had some stuff happened that slowed down my setup. I'm kinda embarrassed to show the Biocube now. I've removed half of the live rock and everything but the goby so it looks pretty sad, hahah.

There's an in-tank overflow so I suspect the DT volume is pretty close to 150g even with those extra inches.

Since I can't choose, I've decided to let "fate" decide my stocking list. Basically, whatever my LFS has available. Last week they had a Red Sea regal angel AND a zebra moray but somehow I managed to leave without either of them! My plan is to buy an appropriate number "peaceful" fish from my list in the first few months, move up to "semi-aggressive" next, then pick out a few tangs & angels last.

I can post updates with what I end up with as I go.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good! I’d personally spring for the flame and a flameback rather than a coral beauty. Imo the nice coral beauties are really hard to find but that’s just cause I like the ones with a lot of yellow. Cherubs are really nice too and super tiny, 2 1/2” max size, I’ve got one and I love his blue highlights although they don’t photograph well.

Just my experience, but fox faces are really really skittish. Like every time I went up to the tank he would run away and go blotchy. Very good algae muncher but if you’re planning on tangs then they may put compete him on the algae clip and he could start starving. I’ve had a few and all of them did this. Both the one spot and bicolor.

If you decide to go with the copperband (which I recommend cause they eat aiptasia) make sure it’s eating before you bring it home, it saves you a headache later.

your list looks great! Can’t wait to see your tank :)

Back