Help Me Pick a Tank!

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

DEFINITELY not new to the hobby, but I’m rusty at best. I know that new equipment is released regularly so I need to brush up on what’s out there, so forgive any old knowledge that I’ve clung to.

What I’m hoping to achieve:
25-35 gallon FOWLR
Sump (I have never had an overflow or sump!)
Lighting with moonlights
A setup that can eventually support corals, etc. with the addition of proper lighting

I have always been a huge fan of bowfront aquariums & have had three separate ones & have always been pleased with the aesthetic. I’ve also really loved the biocube but have never had one.

Can you guys break down the pros & cons between these two?

My hot buttons are value/economy (getting more for my buck) & ease of care.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn't bother with a sump in a tank of under 50 gallons, it's an unneeded degree of cost and complexity that doesn't offer much benefit. I get the bowfront thing as my first tank was a 36 gallon bowfront and I did like the look for the tank of that size.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biocube is going to come with a lot of the pieces that you will need to purchase if you go with the bowfront (although you might end up upgrading those pieces in the future anyways). While I do agree that a sump isn't necessary in a tank that size as far as water quality, it does provide a place to hide equipment. With a tank that small, the last thing you want is a heater and other equipment visible. So that being said, it comes down to the bowfront with sump or the Biocube......I would go with the biocube.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I've found with bowfront is the overflows are usually on the ends. Making it difficult to scape and leaving very little viewing room from the sides. Also it tends to distort your view some from the front.

If budget is under $750 go with biocube or Nuvo Fusion. If it's $1200 or more go with Red Sea.

My previous 6' bowfront

20171028_210732.jpg

My current 6' Red Sea Reefer

20180211_172701.jpg

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I restarted with a 40 all in one and discovered I had no room for what I wanted IN the tank and soon upgraded at much cost. If I was to help one of my daughters with a tank I would get a 50 Water Box or similar,

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you didn’t mention this but a 40 Breeder with a 20 long sump makes a great tank. You can customize it how ever you want with your choice of overflow, returns etc. pretty cost effective as well if you get the tanks from petco during the dollar per gallon sale. You can then find used equipment for sale at a discount. The 40 Breeder has great dimensions and can make a beautiful looking tank. Look into these lights https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UMXAR5...t=&hvlocphy=9021498&hvtargid=pla-319024685974.

They can definitely grow corals and are inexpensive.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this Deep Blue 35g cube from a local reefer. I did a bunch of work to the stand but it's a nice size. It came with an Eshopps sump. Not thrilled about the sump, it's got a split flow path where part of the water goes thru a fuge and part goes thru the skimmer. There is hardly any flow on the fuge and it won't grow any macro. Altho as far as the tank and stand go I'm thoroughly pleased with them.

20171204_125550.jpg
20171204_125559.jpg

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I feel bad for anyone asking for a smaller setup on here. Eventually you will just be told to buy a 1,000 gallon setup with all top of the line equipment with an unlimited budget.

I'm all for big tanks but some people just don't want the expense or work that is involved that goes along with bigger tanks.

There are awesome setups with smaller tanks out there. Maybe hit up YouTube to get a more realistic idea, ha.

Edited:posted at the same time as @Robin Haselden. Now that is a nice setup.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, and a warm welcome to Reef2Reef
I did a lot of research on tanks and sizes with comparisons to cost, maintenance, and simplicity.
Here’s some pros/cons
1-Go with the biggest tank you can fit
—- the longer the better for O2 exchange
——more water/more salt more $$$$
——more water/more room for error, bigger stock, more corals, greater full spectrum ecosystem
I also found that bigger equipment, though more $$$, the quality was better, but that’s the key....BUY QUALITY!!!
I have a 180 gal 6’long 2’ x 2’ with a 60 gal sump, 1400 gph return pump, 2 hydor 2450 powerheads, Reef Octopus int 2000, ATI T-5 8- bulb, 300 watt heater
Those are the basics, and that’s the most important thing: Keep It Simple Stupid or KISS or just don’t over think it!!! I like Live Rock ! ! !
Large systems don’t take more time for maintenance, and you don’t need to spend 10-15 grand. Tank maturity is key to success, this is a long term hobby!

Last edited:

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also check out the SCA plug and play tanks. I've had both the 50g and 66g. Even had them custom make a 45g shallow tank.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people just don't have room for, or want a huge tank. I could buy a huge tank if I wanted to rearrange my house. But for now I'm happy how things are. When I eventually upgrade it'll be a SCA 3' 90g "cube."

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people just don't have room for, or want a huge tank. I could buy a huge tank if I wanted to rearrange my house. But for now I'm happy how things are. When I eventually upgrade it'll be a SCA 3' 90g "cube."

Bigger tanks are alot more work. Not a little more A LOT MORE. :) Anyone that says they aren't are lying. I've owned everything from a 20 long to an 8' 240.

My build thread
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/daltreys-red-sea-reefer-750-xxl-build.351366/

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn't bother with a sump in a tank of under 50 gallons, it's an unneeded degree of cost and complexity that doesn't offer much benefit. I get the bowfront thing as my first tank was a 36 gallon bowfront and I did like the look for the tank of that size.

I'd argue that a sump on a smaller tank has immense value due to the increased water volume on an otherwise small system.

As another member noted, the 40g is a great size if it's something that will fit your needs. It's wide enough to create a pleasing aquascape but still has a relatively small footprint.

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 40 breeder has a great foot plan. I had a 40 breeder with a 20 gal long as a sump which was one of my best tanks.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching to see what folks say! One question I have - do all in one tanks like the Nuvo have room for a fuge in the back compartment? Can you put cheoto in there and put a light on top?

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to put my vote against a bowfront. I had a 72 BF for a few years and the center support cracked. This means there was sufficient force against the glass to cause the support to crack. Just want to put that out there...

crack.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back