Help Me Plan on Corals Please

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK R2R'ers. I'm picking your brains. I had my coral plans, and like a new bride (well second time around) I got cold feet.

Here is my 29gal Aqueon. It's a redo (another story documented in another thread).

My orginal idea was to build a zoa garden tower (see right side). I have a carpet nem on the left (originally an arch, but since I want to be able to rip clean rocks as needed, I went to the two self supporting leaning pile.
And then some island pieces in the middle

I while I still would like a zoa garden, I am questioning the tower zoa garden idea. I do want the tower, but the more I look at it, I am thinking about those tall patio planters with the holes along the side for different plants to sprout out along the sides.

Naturally the nem posing it's own variables. It will grow bigger and so I am not sure if anything should go on its rock and I am concerned about the rock to it's right. I presume the right side of the right rocks will be coral sage and the lower rock forms a shelf to the right.

Since I had problems crazy glueing the GSP to the back wall, I put it on that small table front center. I think that will grow over nicely with flowing green polyps. The kenya tree is the center of the circle formed by the 4 rocks. Kind of like an ornamental tree on ones front lawn.

So ....

1. The tower - yeah or nay on a zoa garden, If not what would you put there

2. The left side rock. ideas

3. The center garden. suggestions?

I've had success with softies, lps & sps in the past. My lights are RapidLED Coronas.

FTS:

IMG_3155.jpg

close up of the center garden

Thank you my R2R friends

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some flat rock in the middle. Use two of the islands there and have it aligned diagonal on a 120 degree angle or so from the front glass.
BAF9D652-334B-41E3-B16A-14BA3A1E7572.png

and id move the left rockwork slightly back to create more depth in the tank

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 29 gallon.

The big issue I have is with shading when you go vertical. I recently added two T5 to this tank since it was only lit with one LED strip in the center, just to see if I could get more light in the nooks and crannies.

reef march2020.JPG

OP
OP
NS Mike D

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more rock

I am holding out on additional rock. I can't post the pic right now, but before dinos took down the tank it full of rock (and corals)

I have rubble rock in two sumps (a 5 gal HOB and a 10 g DIT under the tank) so I have lots of rock for filtration and can do maintenance on the rubble if needed.

I am going for open space with this rendition

OP
OP
NS Mike D

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some flat rock in the middle. Use two of the islands there and have it aligned diagonal on a 120 degree angle or so from the front glass.
BAF9D652-334B-41E3-B16A-14BA3A1E7572.png

and id move the left rockwork slightly back to create more depth in the tank

tanks I have a tunze behind the left rock. But I have options with flow.

I like that flat rock. just haven't able to find flat rock anywhere.

OP
OP
NS Mike D

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I incorporated the advice to an extent. Here is the latest version

IMG_4118.jpg

I removed a rock from the tower, and think it better achieves the look I was going for and a little more natural.

I raised the height a little on the left side pile, slightly caddy corned it and added a second lower arch extension facing the middle space.

anyone know if hot glue is reef safe. I need top secure the rocks, but still be able to remove them is needed for rip cleaning.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I incorporated the advice to an extent. Here is the latest version

IMG_4118.jpg

I removed a rock from the tower, and think it better achieves the look I was going for and a little more natural.

I raised the height a little on the left side pile, slightly caddy corned it and added a second lower arch extension facing the middle space.

anyone know if hot glue is reef safe. I need top secure the rocks, but still be able to remove them is needed for rip cleaning.
Its reef safe but i would use super glue for rocks . Will keep in place from normal forces and when need to “rip” has very low sheer strength so just twist to break the bond. Hot glue has low tensile strength but high elasticity so chances heavy things like rock could slide. Imo anyway.

OP
OP
NS Mike D

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be trimming the acrylic rod that is holding the tower in place. I am toying with the idea of drilling holes and using pieces of the rod as dowels. I have reservations as I am not sure drilling into rock will be easy and I think it may risk cracking.

Normally I would use reef expoxy letting it form to join the rocks.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If have diamond tip bits you can drill rock, without them its like making rock dimples lol.

How long will heavily depend on rock type. I gave up with tonga branch even with the right drill bits lol. But less dense stuff its not too terrible. Very similar to drilling glass, let the drill do the work with very little pressure keep the bit and hole wet.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back