Help me plumb my 60g cube overfow box

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an internal overflow box for my 60g cube. I plan on drilling it out soon and have no idea how to plumb this kind of overflow without buying a 150$ external bean animal box like a shadowbox. I would prefer to not have an extra box on the outside of my aquarium and just have the pipes to be in the overflow box inside the tank.

Screenshot_20190810-143225_Google.jpg

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, because I dont know if it would fit. That would take some measuring. Drill 2 holes in the tank and install bulkheads. In one stick a street 90 pointing down with a small hole in the top. Put a valve on that line. In the other stick a street 90 pointing up. Then you could add a stand pipe to the 2nd 90 to control the height of water in the box. Close the valve until the water trickles down the standpipe silently. I dont think you can make it quiet if you want a lot of flow through it.
I dont know if a street 90 will fit in your box front to back.

Ebslinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the old days, we would just drill the tank, install a bulk head fitting, then insert a 90 degree elbow facing up... not the quietest solution, but it worked and had minimal space impact on the tank...

Just an Idea.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the old day, we would just drill the tank, install a bulk head fitting the insert a 90 degree elbow... not the quietest solution, but it worked and had minimal space impact on the tank...

Just an Idea.
Super quiet isnt super important because my skimmer and hob filter on a different tank already are loud lol. But just drilling a hole in the side straight to the sump will work? I'm super new at plumbing and I was under the impression plumbing that way doesnt work

Ebslinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We normally used 2 or 2 1/2 bulk heads. The top of the elbow would allow us to set the water height.

Ebslinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we would use 2. One in each rear corner of the tank.

Drill and insert the 2" bulk heads. Install a short piece of 2 inch pipe into the bulk head, then a 2 inch elbow facing up.

This is the simplest way to plumb a tank and we did it all through the 90's.

There is a few downsides though. The Noise is one, the other alot of things would end up going into the elbows. Mostly snails. We all used Turbo snails back then.

The elbows didn't have the weirs that the overflows have.

I wouldn't do it on my tanks anymore, but I did it for a lot of them back in the day. Mostly commercial tanks.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we would use 2. One in each rear corner of the tank.

Drill and insert the 2" bulk heads. Install a short piece of 2 inch pipe into the bulk head, then a 2 inch elbow facing up.

This is the simplest way to plumb a tank and we did it all through the 90's.

There is a few downsides though. The Noise is one, the other alot of things would end up going into the elbows. Mostly snails. We all used Turbo snails back then.

The elbows didn't have the weirs that the overflows have.

I wouldn't do it on my tanks anymore, but I did it for a lot of them back in the day. Mostly commercial tanks.
If I did ditch this idea with the overflow box what would be a good way to plumb without drilling the bottom of the tank (tempered) under 100$ (note the 100$ only means the actual hookup not the plumbing leading to the sump, this is bulkheads, and the pipes/box needed for the hooking up to the tank)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back