Help me select a dosing pump

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so tired of reading the online reviews. All the dosing pumps from the most expensive to the least expensive have good and bad reviews. So let me ask, which dosing pump are you using and how long have you had it and is it still working? Is it accurate, easy to program and would you recommend it? I would prefer a 4 channel dosing pump at the minimum. Please do not leave a review from hear say or if you don’t have first hand experience on that particular product. Thx.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 4 brs $75 2 ml/min pumps for dosing triton via apex. I mark the 1 liter dosing containers at the start of the month and make sure they drain equally. Calibrate every 6 months. run into beaker for 20 minutes to get rate. So far, they are all 1.1 ml/ min so the programming is easy.
2 years old

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a Kamoer F4 Pro on one of my tanks. Easy to setup & calibrate, and has not disconnected from the app since I set it up like 6 months ago.

Pretty well made, with the metal housing. Nice colored tubing too.

OP
OP
Reefs anonymous

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! This is such an important part of reefing. Any failure during dosing can be catastrophic to the reef. I take this decision serious but like I’ve said, even the expensive ones have bad reviews. Please, keep the reviews coming.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao 4 channel, nice and inexpensive and have been using since 7/18 without any problems and have not even changed any of the dosing head tubing either.

U

User1

View Badges
Was going to ask. Do you have a controller? Yes? If so, which? If no, then any of the several recommended above. If you have a controller GHL and Neptune have units that would integrate so I would look at those first. Reef Angel open source has one I believer. May be something also with the Pi solutions but not sure.

Other than that you are using the stand alone as noted above. Figured I'd note the controller in case you have one or going that route.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the allblue five head for about a year. It was a bit of a pain to set (not the best instructions etc) but doable. The pumps were accurate. Many of these cheaper options have issues bc the drive shaft is round and doses based on friction as it turns. This unit auctually has the shafts notch in place as their square on the end making much more accurate. See pic this was a good cheap option for me.
When I rebuilt I decided to buy an apex and some dos pumps, they are working great for about a year now. One thing to mention is that one of my three dos came water damaged, neptune wanted me to pay to fix it but thankfully brs stepped in and fixed it for me. The dos were very easy to setup and use with the apex system. Ime the Neptune customer service leaves much to be desired I've had a few instances like receiving the damaged pump, but it's all cheap aquarium gear and I quite frankly don't expect any company to be perfect on all fronts. Allblue pump has no costumer service to my knowledge btw and overall I'm happy with Neptune in general but want to give an honest review.

Screenshot_20200803-231245.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive had very good luck with Jebao but best is GHL and also Bubble Magnus

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using the Ecotech Versa for about four months. So far so good. But in hindsight I should have looked more carefully at the GHL because if I buy a controller it will be GHL.

OP
OP
Reefs anonymous

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, this is my situation. From one of the above questions above, yes I do have an apex as a controller. I currently have 2 BRS dosers that I’ve been using for years and have zero issues. The problem is I only have so much in my stand, I don’t want all my equipment to be dependent on the apex, and I really don’t want a satellite cabinet just to house a dosers so that why I’m looking at other options other than apex dos, and BRS dosers due to size. So now it comes down to the contained dosers and the hunt for a decent quality with price in mind. I’ve noticed only one Reefer have recommend any type of WiFi dosers. Are they unreliable or have issues?

Last edited:

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a Kamoer F4 Pro on one of my tanks. Easy to setup & calibrate, and has not disconnected from the app since I set it up like 6 months ago.

Pretty well made, with the metal housing. Nice colored tubing too.
This is one of the dosers I'm considering.

If you had to buy another doser today would this be the doser you would get?

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Kore 5th for several years and i have to say it has been working great for me but lately has been getting too noisy and i have it inside the cabinet. Was trying to go the same route but the response from Pacific Sun has been a pain so i pulled the trigger on the Black Friday special and went with the GHL.

I will be receiving it today and do the settings so i can let you know if you haven't go another route but their is a fair amount of great reviews on them.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the dosers I'm considering.

If you had to buy another doser today would this be the doser you would get?

I think it depends on whether you have an apex/trident or not. On my tank with no apex, I would definitely go Kamoer again. But on my tank with an apex, the DOS integration is pretty sweet.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on whether you have an apex/trident or not. On my tank with no apex, I would definitely go Kamoer again. But on my tank with an apex, the DOS integration is pretty sweet.
I have GHL, but Iooking for something stand alone. Don't want all my eggs in one basket.

The GHL stand alone doser is high on my list, but seeing what else may be out there.

I also feel the stand alone could hold more value and be easier to sell if I ever needed to, not that I anticipate ever needing to though.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back