HELP ME SELECT LPS FOR A NANO TANK

mnreefer327

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have suggestions of good LPS corals for a 10 gallon nano? I love acans... would they do well? My 105 is mainly LPS, so I am fairly experienced (I've kept lobos, acans, scolys, favia, euphyllia, trachys, etc). If you have any suggestions of LPS that do well in your nano PLEASE LMK

Strad12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Chalices could work well. Acans would also be a great choice because they're hardy, tolerate a variety of conditions, and aren't too aggressive. I would avoid Lobos since they are known for being aggressive, and add Euphyllia with caution. I have a bunch of Favia and Acans, 2 mini Euphyllia colonies, Cyphastrea, and a handful of sps in my 12 gallon nano. The different species are grouped separately to mitigate aggression. If you plan your tank before you start adding corals, I don't see any reason why you can't keep any coral (as long as it fits) in a small tank.

LPS is honestly a perfect genre of coral to aim for in a nano because they'll tolerate a variety of conditions, and aren't super fast growers. As long as corals aren't touching, they won't kill each other. Corals of the same species can be kept in close proximity.

OP
OP
M

mnreefer327

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm definitely an LPS person haha. I only like SPS when it's a huge SPS only tank with large colonies and I never like soft corals (except zoas). They grow way too fast and take over tanks quickly!

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my nano i have an assorment of hammers, acans and blastos as well as a duncan in my 13.5 gallon and they are all awesome! Blastos are great because of the large variety of colors and they have a very weak sting so they can’t bother much else in the confines of a nano.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caution with chalices. I have seen some pretty long sweeper tentacles from mine at night. Might be an issue in a nano. Don't know if that's all species or just the one I have.
If you do want euphyllia, maybe E. Cristata would be good? They have shorter tentacles and I've personally never seen sweepers from any of mine.
I know you weren't in thinking SPS, but what about leptoseris?

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caution with chalices. I have seen some pretty long sweeper tentacles from mine at night. Might be an issue in a nano. Don't know if that's all species or just the one I have.
If you do want euphyllia, maybe E. Cristata would be good? They have shorter tentacles and I've personally never seen sweepers from any of mine.
I know you weren't in thinking SPS, but what about leptoseris?
Agreed. There is a species that has many and or long feeder tentacles that will come out at night.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I think we should see how large some colones can become, see what you like, see what corals will get along...and go from there. Yes, the chalices are super cool and nice. I actually have started placing them on the bare bottom of the tank. Some LPS can get super large, I had a leather...cannot remember which one, in a 45-gallon tank and it grows so large that it just about took the whole tank. The other LPS were hidden. That was my first experience with corals. Just a thought.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to design a nano with lps I would focus on one main rock in the middle and create a huge hammer/frogspawn/octospawn garden. Then in the sand below it place a dozen acans and or blastos. I think that would look amazing abs if you wanted more, maybe a small torch on its own rock!!

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to design a nano with lps I would focus on one main rock in the middle and create a huge hammer/frogspawn/octospawn garden. Then in the sand below it place a dozen acans and or blastos. I think that would look amazing abs if you wanted more, maybe a small torch on its own rock!!
This all depends on your light too!! Some AIO tanks have really crappy lights, so might be a good idea to upgrade!

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could go with some candy cane coral or blastomusa or frogspawn
i have all three in mine i also have a chalice bubble coral and goniapora

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back