Help me sleep at night!

MSCMMSHEEPDOG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished cycling my tank and have been reading all the horror story posts about runaway heaters. I just wanted to get some advice on a plan I have in mind to provide extra redundancy to the heating system. My tank is a Red Sea 525XL (139 gallons total water volume).

I was thinking of (2) 200 watt Schego heaters controlled by an Inkbird wireless enabled controller model ITC- 306A, but then going a step further and plugging the Inkbird ITC-306A controller into another Inkbird heater controller model C929A that has it’s own dual probes. Setting the secondary controller with a slightly wider temperature spread to act as a backup if the primary controller should fail. So as I see it I would have 3 layers of protection against a runaway heater. The 2 lower wattage heaters, the primary heater controller, and the secondary heater controller.

So to those who know more than I, would this setup work to provide the extra redundancy I am thinking it would, so I can sleep at night. Thank you for your input.

71+eIuL53iL._AC_SX679_.jpg
61gWDPn5L5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished cycling my tank and have been reading all the horror story posts about runaway heaters. I just wanted to get some advice on a plan I have in mind to provide extra redundancy to the heating system. My tank is a Red Sea 525XL (139 gallons total water volume).

I was thinking of (2) 200 watt Schego heaters controlled by an Inkbird wireless enabled controller model ITC- 306A, but then going a step further and plugging the Inkbird ITC-306A controller into another Inkbird heater controller model C929A that has it’s own dual probes. Setting the secondary controller with a slightly wider temperature spread to act as a backup if the primary controller should fail. So as I see it I would have 3 layers of protection against a runaway heater. The 2 lower wattage heaters, the primary heater controller, and the secondary heater controller.

So to those who know more than I, would this setup work to provide the extra redundancy I am thinking it would, so I can sleep at night. Thank you for your input.

71+eIuL53iL._AC_SX679_.jpg
61gWDPn5L5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I would actually get 2 heaters that have their own t-stat, instead of pugging one Inkbrid into another. The next step would be to have a aquarium controller controlling the Inkbird. I have my Fennix Titanium heaters plugged into my Apex. The Finnex heaters have a t-stat and I use the Apex to back them up. :)

On my upgrade I will use a BRS heater controller to control the heaters and the Apex to back it up.

Seriously though, you have to remember that their are 10's of thousands of heaters and tanks out there, you only hear of the failures, so I really isn't that common. So don't loose sleep over it. :)

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, two thermostats worth of failure prevention should do it. You absolutely COULD plug two Inkbirds into each other, of course. I suppose if you have the extra money, you may as well. But it's probably overkill.

OP
OP
M

MSCMMSHEEPDOG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys thanks for the quick replies. Do you know if those BRS controllers are rebranded InkBirds? This is the new tank... just got done cycling!
IMG_0980.jpeg

OP
OP
M

MSCMMSHEEPDOG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way are (2) 200 watt heaters enough for this size tank? Total water volume 139 gallons.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inkbird.

calibrated with either the Hanna salinity checker, or a kitchen thermometer

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back