Help me understand low phosphates regarding Cyano Bacteria

U

User1

View Badges
Oh poor Lasse, this has now run its course. As I'm getting tired of this and so I take no pride in embarrassing you, but I tried over the last few days to enlighten you on how science actually works. I waited patiently for you to say, I don’t know because I can't possibly know without any evidence.

But now you respond with another little witticism to draw people to your side. (Oh that's our funny Lasse!) Well this pseudoscientific crap will not play here anymore. I will lay the smack down on all your theories (actually they’re hypotheticals and poor ones indeed). This is sciences house now.

So I know people might be rolling their eyes at this, and feel I’m attacking Lasse. Think for a second what you would tell me if I told you that you can cure COVID in most people with hamburger meat? That is much stronger than this hydrogen sulfide hypothesis. To take up that COVID analogy a bit more, if I said well almost everyone who ate hamburger meat survived COVID you would absolutely role your eyes at me. Yet when things take on big words it gets a lot harder. But all you have to realize is that cyanobacterial mats have formed at pretty much all nitrate levels in both freshwater and saltwater aquariums (barring a true zero). And so the hypothesis of adding nitrate to fix a cyano problem is immediately falsified. ( Basically if you dose nitrates to 5 mg/L you know that cyanobacterial mats have formed at this level, so it's gone) And so you would need to select an alternate hypothesis to test, one possible example would be that aquarists take better care of their tanks when they dose nitrate. The hamburger one is actually harder to refute then the nitrate one. Go ahead prove me wrong :D

You might ask why that’s a problem as people can believe what they want to. It’s because reefing already has enough troubles with the shady companies, the pseudoscience and all the trade secret garbage. If this hobby is going to move forward all the pseudoscientific crap has to go. It needs to be based on reality. On actual things. If hobbyists get to the point where they realize they have been constantly lied to or snookered they will stop in this hobby and it will crash. No matter how well intentioned the information provider is.

Let's see what could happen if this hypothesis grows...
So let's say a twenty year old very popular R2R member who knows everything (lol) find Lasse’s hypothesis and says, hmmm that sounds really cool and scientific. Then since he's taking chemistry at school he does a cursory look up if the topic and discovered that it is actually nitrite produced by DNRA microbes (they take nitrate and convert it to ammonia but they leak nitrites in the process) that blocks sulfate reducing bacteria’s ability to produce hydrogen sulfide. (Yes again not nitrate.) Obviously they would get super excited at their new found cutting edge knowledge and would start dosing nitrite. Now as I already discussed that when one is taking extra steps to take care of their aquarium while there is a pest outbreak it will automatically improve the odds and so chances are he gets rid of his cyano mats eventually. As a popular member he hits the forums triumphantly and telld everyone, HEY DOSE NITRITE FOR CYANOS!! And so now using big words and his popularity he recruits a lot of people to this methodology. And so as usual per this hobby it would be successful because of the extra attention but of course never close to one hundred percent effective. He'd be looked at in the forums with awe, that person really knows his stuff, a forum hero! Challengers using logic will be roasted and will quit the forum. The people who it didn’t work for will be told they did it wrong, to tweak the dose higher, to tweak the dose lower, or that it was really phosphate in their case, or they just don’t plain understand it. So it would become a thing in the hobby for a bunch of years until the fad would finally fade away, and during this period we'd lose a bunch of people because of uncontrolled cyano mats and nitrite harassment and reefing would have gone completely backwards on the cyano question.

So that's how serious this can become and if you couldn't guess this has already happened in various ways many many times over in this hobby.

So unfortunately now I have to look like the bad guy cleaning up all these stinky messes dropped into the forums. People will become wary of me, they'll say “who’s that newbie, Lasse knows so much!, he is a real good person, and so so helpful". Well I don't doubt that he is a good person and helpful, however he is seriously misinforming the community while cloaking everything in science speak and doing the community an overall disservice.

And as the so called scientist bad guy people eventually become afraid to communicate with me. They see posts like these and feel I’ll tell them they’re stupid. Or that I’m a know it all who will push only their way (see the last paragraph of this rebuke) No! If anyone wants to reach out and discuss their hypotheses I more than welcome it. We can discuss possible hypotheses to address your question, how to look in the literature, how to design an experiment, analyze the data etc. For instance someone may now want to explore growing ciliates or rotifers for cyano biocontrol. WONDERFUL. Maybe they’ll work, maybe they’ll be iffy, or maybe they'll be a dismal failure. However it will be grounded in known science and not science fiction.

Oh and fair warning if anybody reaches out or posts something telling me or the forum how something absolutely works, well you best back it up. Which brings me to this.

Lasse if you keep peddling this pseudoscientific garbage I’m going to keep thrashing you until you realize you have no freaking clue. I however will not respond directly to you again until you hit the books, run hypotheses by people, consider alternatives, don’t talk in absolutes and finally say I DO NOT KNOW HOW IT WORKS, but it works for me.

Oh and as far as the nitrate/cyano question. I really do not know the answer. I’ve presented a few ideas, but I DON’t KNOW...So why is that freaking so hard? In the forum you'll see me argue my position however you'll never see me say you must do this to achieve this unless it's seriously grounded. (E.g. add calcium to raise calcium) There's so many variations on reefing that work, I'll definitely discuss how I think they work based on my own knowledge. I'm also here to stretch the envelope and will probably do funky things to my tank. Yet I'm not infallible and will really admit when I get something wrong, but rest assured that my hypotheses will be based on something that has already been observed and not wishful thinking.

Oh and I mean I’ve got twenty plus years in microbiology and genetics and I say I don’t know all the time. That’s the freaking point! If I am interested enough then I can say, I don’t know, let me look in the literature, make sure I understand the literature and then decide on a reasonable hypothesis, then test the hypothesis utilizing the proper controls, then confirm, deny or rework the hypothesis. Repeat this until a hypothesis is confirmed by probability. Then going broader you must have someone completely different test the hypothesis and see if they have the same result. Repeat this a thousand or so times with all confirming the original hypothesis and now you’ll finally arrive at a scientific theory. (which still might be challenged in the future with the creation of new tests and new instrumentation, haha!!!)

For lurkers and forum members be safe out there and don’t believe everything you read, and that includes believing me! (basically do your homework and place trust when it has been earned, and remove trust when it’s been broken)

Sorry for the long post... I'm just already so tired

A bit over the top and also a bit of bad bed side manners while also coming in at a volume of 10. Probably could have dialed it down. Way down. I think you could have saved angst by just saying enough and be done. There comes a time in any debate or conversation when you realize that neither party is going to convince the other to consider something different.

Hope you get some rest and have a good rest of the day.

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit over the top and also a bit of bad bed side manners while also coming in at a volume of 10. Probably could have dialed it down. Way down. I think you could have saved angst by just saying enough and be done. There comes a time in any debate or conversation when you realize that neither party is going to convince the other to consider something different.

Nope you didn't understand the post. I could care less about convincing Lasse

U

User1

View Badges
Nope you didn't understand the post. I could care less about convincing Lasse

I understood it very well but I will leave it at that. And for the record I have cyno but I do not talk or post about it. As the wheel turns.

1602380460184.png

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This attitude right here is why the reefing world is a complete mess. I spend hours a day for the past two days helping a person grasp why they are wrong, what would be a better path etc... But they keep spreading pseudoscience. So I squash it forcefully, because that is what you must do with junk science because as I already mentioned is contagious. During this time I introduce many new ways to explore the topic. And you know what I get for it... I get admonished for being mean.

Yet I saw someone just yesterday suggest his dosing nitrates crashed his SPS reef. I imagine a good amount of money out of his pocket.

But yes let's worry about the feelings of the person spreading disinformation.

I bet you support the feelings of climate denialists, antivaxxers, AIDs denialists and other anti science groups.

If you're interested just check back on my zeolite post. It's just too perfect. Try to get the guy who actually knows what he's talking about to leave.

Should I leave? Is the reefing world better without scientists? Is it more a belief system rather than a biological system?

Please let me know

U

User1

View Badges
Please let me know

Let you know what? That you are over the top, argumentative, arrogant, combative, and had no qualms about stating you are going out of your way to ridicule someone or to use your words embarrass another hobbyist here on the forum. And now you want to start with me?

Stop. Treat the conversation as if you are sitting across from me at a bar or table face to face. I didn't tell you to leave. I said dial it down. I didn't ask what you do for living, I don't care. If you want to help do what you are doing. My point that you missed is when the two parties are having a conversation you find yourself noticing that the other party of said conversation isn't changing their view then what in earth more is there to accomplish? Nothing. So move on and disengage.

Do you get it? I didn't say you are right or wrong. I really don't care let alone know if either of you are right. However, this nonsense isn't helping anyone.

So If me replying to your post to dial it down is why this hobby, in your words, a complete mess please let me know. I'll delete my account tonight.

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let you know what? That you are over the top, argumentative, arrogant, combative, and had no qualms about stating you are going out of your way to ridicule someone or to use your words embarrass another hobbyist here on the forum. And now you want to start with me?

Stop. Treat the conversation as if you are sitting across from me at a bar or table face to face. I didn't tell you to leave. I said dial it down. I didn't ask what you do for living, I don't care. If you want to help do what you are doing. My point that you missed is when the two parties are having a conversation you find yourself noticing that the other party of said conversation isn't changing their view then what in earth more is there to accomplish? Nothing. So move on and disengage.

Do you get it? I didn't say you are right or wrong. I really don't care let alone know if either of you are right. However, this nonsense isn't helping anyone.

So If me replying to your post to dial it down is why this hobby, in your words, a complete mess please let me know. I'll delete my account tonight.

Well since you could care less that other people will take bad or uninformed advice and may crash their tanks, yeah you should delete your account because you're more worried about one forum member and not the actual community.

U

User1

View Badges
Well since you could care less that other people will take bad or uninformed advice and may crash their tanks, yeah you should delete your account because you're more worried about one forum member and not the actual community.

Care to show me where I said that? I'd advise you to go back and read. I said if you want to help continue what you are doing. I also recommended that once you reach a point in the conversation in which you know you are not changing the other persons view, opinion, or even a train of thought to disengage. It is a two way street but at least you can control your side of it.

I'll say it again. I don't care who is wrong or right or even if there is such a thing here. On the other hand what I am doing is saying you came in way to hot and there is no need to go all in like you did with written intent to embarrass. I would say the same if that was a card thrown at you. It is a hobby.

And I will lead by example on two fronts. You clearly do not see my point in the conversation so I'll bow out. Also suspend my account. Enjoy the hobby and wish you nothing but success in your journies.

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care to show me where I said that? I'd advise you to go back and read. I said if you want to help continue what you are doing. I also recommended that once you reach a point in the conversation in which you know you are not changing the other persons view, opinion, or even a train of thought to disengage. It is a two way street but at least you can control your side of it.

I'll say it again. I don't care who is wrong or right or even if there is such a thing here. On the other hand what I am doing is saying you came in way to hot and there is no need to go all in like you did with written intent to embarrass. I would say the same if that was a card thrown at you. It is a hobby.

And I will lead by example on two fronts. You clearly do not see my point in the conversation so I'll bow out. Also suspend my account. Enjoy the hobby and wish you nothing but success in your journies.

I understand your thoughts. The problem is that Lasse said he would continue to spread misinformation. That's pretty much the only reason I'm in this thread. Trying to stomp out things that will cause problems later on. And so since you keep chiming that you don't know who's right? Well than I know you haven't bothered to try to understand this thread at all. You on the other hand jump into this thread to admonish me. So please read the thread again because I have no side in the argument except the elimination of garbage science.

Enjoy your weekend, read a book and play forum nanny somewhere else

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as you can see through this thread, people think I'm the bad guy. Arrogant, combative, whatever..But let's see how you would react if...

You worked as a delivery man and someone told you the best way was to deliver all the packages to the wrong location

You were a doctor and someone told you that they cured their cancer with tictacs.

That you're a history teacher and someone told you that JFK actually shot himself.

That the moon landings not real...

And finally that the dinitrogen in the air protects you from cyanobacterial skin infections

I'm so tired and have no idea who I'm even reaching

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all - calm down

The funny thing with this thread is that I nearly agree to 100% with Frampton's intentions (but disagree 110 % with his way to market them ) Every one that have following me here at R2R the last 4 years and all swedes here that know me from the Swedish forums can clearly see and testify this. I can´t for my life understand why it is always the ones closest to your believe that needs to be attacked forcibly. I can´t either understand why it is the way that you easily ca see the grand in your brother's eye but not the beam in your own? Someone familiar with the science of psychology may can help me out?

With you and your in this post I mean we all - not a certain person

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The debate probably cannot be totally objective, without emotion. We need to give some leeway to the leakage and venting of emotion. The R2R site has done a good job keeping ”meanness” to a minimum and that makes discourse on this site alive and well. Being emotional or passionate about a position might make the reader uncomfortable should be acceptable.

As for ending the debate because the debator positions are not changing, that is a valid endpoint. The continued sparring though continues to bring additional information to us, the audience. I would say a second endpoint to the debate might be when no new information is being put forth.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all - calm down

The funny thing with this thread is that I nearly agree to 100% with Frampton's intentions (but disagree 110 % with his way to market them ) Every one that have following me here at R2R the last 4 years and all swedes here that know me from the Swedish forums can clearly see and testify this. I can´t for my life understand why it is always the ones closest to your believe that needs to be attacked forcibly. I can´t either understand why it is the way that you easily ca see the grand in your brother's eye but not the beam in your own? Someone familiar with the science of psychology may can help me out?

With you and your in this post I mean we all - not a certain person

Sincerely Lasse

@Lasse, we humans are wonderfully complex and confusing animals. We evolved mechanisms to “play nice” only in face-to-face situations. Once this condition is removed, the debates can become rougher. I said to you last year that if we sat down over a beer, we would understand each others position quite quickly but still might disagree. We might even come to a better understanding of cyanobacteria.

As for the current debate, it might have run its course. Many, many ideas went back and forth here and it will take awhile for them to sink in. I found some good ideas to take back to the lab, so, thanks for staying in the debate and not walking away.

Looking forwards to your next post and challenging your theories.

Dan

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This debate is becoming a very harsh one and I agree that everybody should calm down. May be it would be a good idea to summarize the consensus points:
- What nutrient status we agree may increase benthic cyano growth: low NO3/PO4, for example? Are there absolute concentrations of each nutrient that may be considered as thresholds)?
- What physical conditions we agree may increase benthic cyano growth? Slow or no movement, detritus accumulation, accumulation of other bacterial species (diatoms?)

Something I do not quite understand about Lasse's theory of the formation of cyano matts as a way to build an anaerobic environment that may be useful for the obtention of PO4 is that I find much easier to think that the anaerobic environment is needed for N2 fixation, which is essentially an anaerobic process (or at least one that proceeds easier under very low oxygen conditions, due to the fact that nitrogenase is easily inhibited by oxygen). Therefore, under severely nitrogen limited conditions, cyano would take advantage of its ability to fix N2. To that end would need an anaerobic enviroment (matts, heterocysts and so on).

However, this is the theory and practice do not always supports it. The general consensus among the most skillfull reef aquarists around me is that some PO4 and very low NO3 gives you the best option to develop a cyano problem. However, I have had cyano outbreaks with 0,1 mg/l PO4 and 10-15 mg/l NO3, which does not look as a very low NO3 concentration to me.

Also, the concentration of nutrients in the water column (where we measure them) may be completely different from the situation in a benthic microenvironment (certain sand or rock areas).

Finally, I always hear about cyano problems, but very seldom we identify the species involved. So, all the observations we talk about here are they related to the same species, or are we talking about several different ones? I do scientific research with microorganisms and I know you only get sound results when you always work with the same strain.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I do not quite understand about Lasse's theory of the formation of cyano matts as a way to build an anaerobic environment that may be useful for the obtention of PO4 is that I find much easier to think that the anaerobic environment is needed for N2 fixation, which is essentially an anaerobic process (or at least one that proceeds easier under very low oxygen conditions, due to the fact that nitrogenase is easily inhibited by oxygen). Therefore, under severely nitrogen limited conditions, cyano would take advantage of its ability to fix N2. To that end would need an anaerobic enviroment (matts, heterocysts and so on).
The fixation process is described in many papers - Look here - you are right.
When I did that seek 1 minute back this show up - maybe a game changer for FO. Have not read it yet - its new for me.

However there is more things going on in a mat and I think that we have to have two different approach - what trigger the formation of them mats (the bacteria is always there) and what let the mats to stay put. I will comeback later and try to explain all of my thinking but till now - see this post that I published earlier in the thread

Sincerely Lasse

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lasse. I already read that post. I'm not sure about microalgae and bacteria all equally using amino acids, ammonia and NO3 as nitrogen sources. There are reports that some microalgae (Dunaliella for instance) can not use amino acids as an efficiente source for nitrogen.

Anyway I'm eager to read your explanations

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fine things with this discussions are that you have to repeat and reformulate your thoughts so many times that you in the end understand by yourself what you have written:p:p:p

Sincerely Lasse

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This debate is becoming a very harsh one and I agree that everybody should calm down. May be it would be a good idea to summarize the consensus points:
- What nutrient status we agree may increase benthic cyano growth: low NO3/PO4, for example? Are there absolute concentrations of each nutrient that may be considered as thresholds)?
- What physical conditions we agree may increase benthic cyano growth? Slow or no movement, detritus accumulation, accumulation of other bacterial species (diatoms?)

However, this is the theory and practice do not always supports it. The general consensus among the most skillfull reef aquarists around me is that some PO4 and very low NO3 gives you the best option to develop a cyano problem. However, I have had cyano outbreaks with 0,1 mg/l PO4 and 10-15 mg/l NO3, which does not look as a very low NO3 concentration to me.

Also, the concentration of nutrients in the water column (where we measure them) may be completely different from the situation in a benthic microenvironment (certain sand or rock areas).

Finally, I always hear about cyano problems, but very seldom we identify the species involved. So, all the observations we talk about here are they related to the same species, or are we talking about several different ones? I do scientific research with microorganisms and I know you only get sound results when you always work with the same strain.
Nice ambassadorial suggestion!

I think you are seeing the crux of the matter here: a just-so-explanation that requires even more just-so-explanations when exceptions are discovered. You will also have noticed another difficulty in this debate: no data, no records, no measurements, no species identification, just anecdotal data and cherry picked journal articles to defend a viewpoint.

Now, if we could turn this debate into a working post, something like @brandon429 did, progress might be made In understanding cyanobacteria in aquarium.

Dan

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now I'm for sure speaking to the lurkers, newbies and the searchers who stumble across this thread.

Above Lasse used a debate technique of appealing to emotion. If you look at the post what it does is suggest that Lasse is the calm one and I'm unhinged or unstable. That our ideas are actually much closer than farther apart. (Which is true in the sense that both of us want what's best for your reef, but an infinity miles apart on why something could improve your reef). The post finishes with a goofy wittiscm to generate good will. But if you actually followed the thread I was extremely patient with helping him understand why his hypothesis could not be true.

Then what follows is a few people who also appeal to emotion as they want to maintain themselves in the pack. So they suggest good will and calmness. They believe they're helping. Yet if they understood my argument they would know that this H2S hypothesis is impossible. I've come to the realization that some people believe this is a 50:50 debate and that everybody needs to be heard. That's not how this works. If someone claims an impossible scenario or argues from bad or misplaced faith then you don't need to give that person oxygen. As the more oxygen given will increase the chances of a wildfire. E.g. A person discussing Bigfoot passionately does not make Bigfoot a 50% possibility, and so you don't need to give that person good will and a fifty percent amount in the debate. In fact the only reason you have ever heard of Bigfoot is because the idea wasnt quashed immediately. And btw even though the odds are extremely low the Bigfoot hypothesis is actually possible.

Then these posters proceed to imply that I'm unhinged and would necessarily be more jovial in person. However if I went to a bar with someone who spews anti science garbage, e.g. antivaxxer, it would ethically be my duty to try explain why this position was wrong. Failing that it would be my duty to explain to the audience that the person was spewing garbage. And if you're not science minded, then imagine yourself in a bar with a white supremacist.

And what absolutely explodes my brain is the people who can't wait to hear more from Lasse. Who can't wait to debate him. Even though he shows absolutely no ability to change his mind even in the face of impossible odds.

I feel I'm living the plot of Idiocracy. I'm going to go water my plants with Brawndo now ;)

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice perspective @taricha on a very energetic discussion.

Put me down as one who will definitely be surprised if, under controlled conditions, tweaking nitrate and phosphate levels have an effect on cyanobacteria. I am still looking for ideas on how to design this experiment.

Every time we have one of these major post, I come away with at least one new idea. It might take several to-and-fros but it happens. About a year ago, a similar gigantic debate with @Lasse on cyanobacteria resulted in me doing a year long study on what makes cyanobacteria grow. This year @Sallstrom gets the prize for giving me the next idea to explore: ”chronic infection” of cyanobacteria and the cyanobacteria microbiome in aquaria. I hope @AquaBiomics will join the fun.
Hi Dan!
When you wrote “chronic infection”, what did you mean? If you got the idea from my post my curious to know :)
Without any research on the subject, I though the mat building Cyanobacteria were present in most tanks, but only “bloom” and become mats under certain circumstances.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back