Help me understand low phosphates regarding Cyano Bacteria

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m interested of both without and with MFBC (mat forming benthic cyanobacteria ) problem - and if possible your nitrite concentrations (and brand of test)

Sincerely Lasse

@Lasse , I forgot to add to the “Notes” that I started vinegar dosing in June. “ND” = none detected. In looking back at this year, there has been many changes to the aquarium. Dan

662FB2D9-4FF5-4BA3-85B4-C0A5D9E2BFEE.png

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm guessing this paper is meant to challenge my previous thoughts on the matter? All it's doing is confusing people who don't have the background to decide whether I was just refuted. So anyways this paper looks at a very common phenomenon in the microbiological field (as well as biological) that an organism needs the correct concentrations of resources to grow and reproduce. We have not cultivated the majority of bacteria because we simply do not understand the nutrition and growth signals they need. e.g. in the laboratory we understand that E. coli can utilize ammonia as it's nitrogen source, yet if we add too much or too little then the growth of the organism is going to be effected and at some point stop.

And to try to explain this topic a little more...I for one receive a insignificant amount of energy from cellulose while quite a lot of herbivores receive the majority of their energy from ingesting cellulose.

Noticed I said ingesting? That's because these herbivores actually don't digest cellulose themselves. They absorb the nutrition released by bacteria, archaea, fungus and protozoa that can utilize this carbohydrate. And after they absorb these nutrients, they send the above microbes to a different section of their digestive track and then digest the microbes themselves. Pretty pretty cool.

If someone has any questions on this I am more than welcome to address it.

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I know a lot of you feel I'm arrogant.

I'm not arrogant. For example if a doctor of medicine suggests you do something about your health they're not being arrogant. Yet to be clear you can question their suggestions. You can ask them to clarify. You can reject their suggestions. However you should give them a little modicum of respect and understand they trained to be in their position and they just might know what they're talking about. That is until they're shown to be a fraud or quack, then you may remove that respect and good will.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still dose vinegar? WC - how frequent? any chemical treatments in the aquarium during this time?

Sincerely Lasse
I am currently at 7 mL / gallon of vinegar per day, divided into 12 doses. Never do water changes but wet skim about 1% of the tank volume on average per day. No chemical treatments.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the case of blooms of cyanobacteria mats - my first step is always to stop all DOC dosing,

Do you have the same combination of fish now as you had before the event when they died in january?

Sincerely Lasse

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the case of blooms of cyanobacteria mats - my first step is always to stop all DOC dosing,

Do you have the same combination of fish now as you had before the event when they died in january?

Sincerely Lasse

I have 15 big Mexican turbos that I feed daily.They get half a sheet of dried seaweed at night, 1.5 g. I skip Sunday night. I did the calculation and discovered that much dried seaweed is quite a bit of N and P. So while the fish number is the same, N and P import went up. And boy, do those snails produce the poop!

Since the mat went away as I continued dosing, well, there is another fun observation.

Two weeks ago, I was thinking that I missed seeing seaweed, so I added a bit of Ulva to the tank. Now my diatom mats are fading. Another happy coincidence maybe. @taricha suggested allelopathy. Who knows.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not really get this - is it the same number and species that die or it is only the one that survive? Seewed have often the N/P

Sincerely Lasse
Sorry for the confusion. One of two fish of the same species is still in the system. One died, one lives on.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late in the evening here - see if I get it right - you have 1 fish in the system for the moment? Before the January event - was there any tangs or angels in the aquarium?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late in the evening here - see if I get it right - you have 1 fish in the system for the moment? Before the January event - was there any tangs or angels in the aquarium?
Correct one fish now and before that two fish. No tangs or angel fish.

Back